Electric Trailer Winch

8/5/15 @ 8:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
captainmorgan34
captainmorgan34
USER since 6/8/15
I have a question for those of you with an electric trailer winch. My buddy just purchased a different boat that came with an electric winch on it. It's handy but its annoying having to carry around the external battery to power it all of the time. My question is if it is possible to run that winch off of the power from the truck. Such as splicing it right after the harness on the same wiring that would power the lights for the trailer. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
10/30/15 @ 2:11 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
You do not want to try an power a winch off your trailer plug, the wires are way to small. Run a set of wires direct to your battery, you can hook up a plug right next to your trailer plug, but it needs to be separate, I would go at least 10 gage wire for that length of a run too.

Post Your Comment
10/30/15 @ 12:11 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
You could replace the electric winch with a Fulton F2 3200# 2 speed winch. I just put one on my trailer and I think one of my grandchildren could winch my boat on. No batteries, no hassle, just easy on, easy off.

Post Your Comment
10/22/15 @ 11:06 PM
GARY J
GARY J
USER since 1/26/12
Simply run 16 or 18 gauge wires (depending on what the amp draw of the winch is) from the car battery, thru the fire wall, under the carpeting and in to the trunk. Get two, SB50 (quick disconnect) connectors. mount one on the trailer and put & one on the cable(wires you just put in), and away you go. i have all my batteries, trolling motor & engine starting battery set up w/SB50 connectors. I can even charge the trolling motor while driving to the lake by hooking the trolling battery to the cable in the trunk. Cool

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 1:11 PM
captainmorgan34
captainmorgan34
USER since 6/8/15
Thanks for the help guys! I had kind of thought that, but I had a buddy say the trailer he bought had it tied into the harness somehow. I never saw it and didn't ask him much about it so it could have easily been something different.

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 11:26 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
The winch manufacture name would help. The most common trailer winches are made by Powerwinch. Powerwinch sells replacement wiring harnesses that hook directing to the battery. I highly doubt the vehicles trailer wiring could supply enough current. Trailer winches draw more than 30 amps. The Powerwinch units have a 60 amp breaker and like #8 multi-strand wire.

See photos for ideas.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 9:45 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
No, you'll blow fuses. The amperage draw of the winch is way too much for trailer wiring. Most winches call for anywhere between a 30amp to 60amp circuit breaker. A trailer wire circuit typically has a fuse right around 10a or 15a depending on the vehicle. Plus the wiring used for tail lights and trailer lights is way too small to carry the load that the winch requires.

Most of the newer winches come with a wiring harness that can easily be wired into the tow vehicle. The previous owner might have gotten one with the winch and installed it on his/her tow vehicle. The best bet would be to see if a wiring harness is available for the make/model of the winch. If one cannot be acquired there are three options: 1) Run wires specifically designated for the winch from the vehicle. You need to have a dedicated circuit for this. Tapping into something that currently exists could cause headaches down the road. 2) Carry a battery in the back of the tow vehicle like he is doing now. 3) Mount a battery box on the trailer and place the battery there.

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 9:23 AM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I don' believe there would be enough power on the light circuit. That would probably just blow the fuse You would have to run a new circuit with more power. Check to see what the amp draw is for the winch.

Post Your Comment