MORE
Boats & Motors

ELECTRIC BOAT WINCH RECOMMENDATION

1/22/19 @ 2:26 PM
INITIAL POST
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
User since 9/17/02

I have a 16.5ft 1993 Alumicraft Dominator equipped with a 93 Evinrude 55 HP tiller and a 9.9 Merc kicker.The boat also houses a 22 gallon fuel tank.The boat was offered as a package when new and came with a bunk trailer.

I want to outfit it with an electric winch.What can you tell me? Thanks in advance!

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
2/18/19 @ 9:31 PM
gunnysack
User since 2/24/06

Also went with 2 speed winch i have had neck surgery , its a back saver for sure 

1/23/19 @ 3:45 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I have a a two speed hand winch on my 12k boat and can crank it up to the bow roller, no need for electric.

If you do decide to go electric stay away from the cable models mentioned and look at the Dutton-Lainson models with the strap. Much nicer to work with then frayed and binding cable.

I would certainly start with the two speed hand winch before making the switch to electric, I think you'll be presently surprised.

1/23/19 @ 2:16 PM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06

I'd recommend a Powerwinch RC 23 electric winch. There are two Powerwinch electric winch models that offer a wireless remote, the RC 23 and the RC 30. The RC 23 has a single line capacity of 2400#. The RC 23 double line capacity is 4300#. Having the remote makes loading alone a breeze. Just get a lanyard to attach the remote to. 

If your trailer has bunks remember to submerge the bunks so the water can lubricate the carpet. 

Here's a link for the Owner's manual. 

Powerwinch-RC23-Remote-Trailer-Winch-User-Manual.pdf

Good Luck

SS

1/22/19 @ 8:01 PM
GB John
User since 6/28/18

I use a Dulton DL2500A  which is a two speed winch.  Easy to install.  I think you will like it better than an electric winch.  Less fiddling around with the electric cord etc...Less to go wrong.  But a little advice... Remove the handle while away from the trailer .to prevent theft. I am 84 years old at 140 pounds and find it EASY to winch the boat on my trailer at all launches.

1/22/19 @ 7:54 PM
Ursela2
User since 5/8/07

I will second Tuffy's recommendation on the Fulton 2-speed winches.  I bought one for my 20' and it made it so easy to crank it up the bunks I couldnt help myself so I bought another for my 18' Jon, talk about overkill but I like the functionality and looks of them.

1/22/19 @ 7:44 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

It could be 3200#. I had a hard time cranking my boat up that last foot or two. This winch made it so easy. A two speed winch for heavier boats is the only way to go. No battery or wires to mess around with. I bought mine off of Amazon.com.

I just looked it up on Amazon and it is 3200#. They sell for $160, but well worth the money. I bought it for the same challenge that you have.

1/22/19 @ 7:32 PM
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
User since 9/17/02

Tuffy2..Thanks for the advice,,seems that might be the way for me to go! Are you sure about the 3300#? Or is it 3200#? Don't see 3300# listed.

1/22/19 @ 7:09 PM
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
User since 9/17/02

My concern is  the fact that it is a "bunk" style trailer which make's it harder to crank in. At 65,,I am not the man I used to be!  It's getting hard to crank in to the  front post!

1/22/19 @ 4:00 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04
Rather than getting a electric winch, I would look at the Fulton 3300# F2 two speed winch. My grandchildren could winch a boat on with one of these. The electric is too much of a hassle and expense that you really don’t need.
1/22/19 @ 2:53 PM
fun fishin
User since 11/16/02

I have the power winch it is model no.712a it comes with emergency crank handle. the model 315 does not have the crank handle and it is rated for 1650 lb. for single capacity.dont be fooled the 1650 capacity is not enough and to slow to winch the boat of your size plus the amount of gear in the boat. the model 715a will handle your boat easily. try calling 1-800-243-3097 hope this helps.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE