Drift socks

1/19/16 @ 10:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
My dad just got a drift sock for his 18 foot Lund. It's a 46" apparently. He's wondering if what he was told about needing more than one is true, the idea being that having one off the bow and one off the stern would keep the boat straighter. My thought is it's more the get in the way of lines, especially when drifting and fishing with three guys. Do most people who use these use two? Or is one sufficient?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/1/16 @ 8:50 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Big secret here at this lake..Guys Think! Wind is your friend and it is near to impossible to slow a boat down when the wind is howling. You can't drag a anchor because of the every changing water depths and bottom types. Finding a drift sock in any tackle store is like finding a needle in a haystack. So the normal Joe Fisherman does not have any idea how to fish them. That can be the difference between the men and the boys on a real windy day.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
1/23/16 @ 7:27 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
That's how we learned how to fish was drifting. Bump the front trolling motor just to keep ur boat so r from shore on a good one. We don't do it as much now, but love it when we do. Keep one big sock in the boat all the time.

Post Your Comment
1/23/16 @ 8:48 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I bought one before last year for my 18ft Starcraft. I believe it's a 52" I am hooked I usually fish solo so I can put it off the rear end and still have control enough on the terrova to make adjustments. I also have a cleat near the front and on real windy days if I set it there and stand in the back the boat will drift completely side ways. Tried it to slow me down for trolling....one doesn't work you loose almost all boat control with just the one. It does work to slow the boat down but just 0 control. I have the bouy attachment which is nice but not a must have I found them to be really easy to work with just takes 1 trip to figure it out.

Post Your Comment
1/21/16 @ 1:10 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I second what Big Musky says for 90% of my fishing. However occasionally I will run two large ones. I really like the two little 18" one off the back for trolling, I run them very close to the boat, sometimes to close if you get my drift!!

Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 4:19 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I only use two small ones when trolling to control boat speed...when drifting I use a single larger one. I will then use trolling motor to keep boat at angle I want and to further slow boat if needed.

I will often drift two musky suckers, run a drift sock and cast at same time while fishing solo and avoid tangles. So three guys with their own rod should be easier.

Post Your Comment
1/20/16 @ 7:58 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
We love the drift sock for them windy days. A lot of boats only have cleats in the front and back on bothe sides. For and even drift, I mounted cleats in the center also. Nice even drift. We never pull the sock when we have a fish on. The one rope doesn't get in the way as long as you remember it's there. Plus, in some cases, where you're close to the shallows, if we disconnected the sock, the boat would start drifting too fast and might get hung up on something trying to get the fish in. Every bodies got their own style of doing it, so the best thing too do is try it out, and get your own style that fits you the best. We love em.

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 2:52 PM
Major Mark
Major Mark
MEMBER since 5/20/05
when I had my Targa17, I carried 3 sets of socks. 18", 30", 48" and a set of buoy harnesses. Size used depended on wind. current, etc. The buoy harnesses were the best idea. Fish on, release sock to float away, land fish, recover floating buoy. No interference at all for landing fish. Sometimes I used the socks bow/stern for sideways drifting over target areas, sometimes 2 off the stern for trolling walleyes. Trolling was usually 4 planer lines, 2 dead stick lines straight out rear and the socks never interfered. I tried one sock only a couple times, drift or troll was pretty hard to control.

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 11:00 AM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
Depends on the wind speed for that day. I have an 18 ft. Princecraft and some days I run 2 56 inch socks. I also run a 5-10 foot lead on the socks. Don't have an issue run 2 lines each guy.

Post Your Comment