Could I ski or tube with my boat?

6/10/14 @ 10:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
I recently purchased a used 17 foot fiberglass boat with a 85HP Mercury motor on it. I pretty much only use it for fishing, but I wanted some additional input before buying other equipment. Everything on it runs good and I was around 35-40 mph driving it by myself. Is it a 6 person capacity boat. Will I have any issues pulling a tuber? Skier? I'm sure much of it depends on how many I have in the boat with me. Thanks for any help. Pretty excited to have purchased my first boat.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/12/14 @ 8:56 AM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
Thanks for the comments everyone. This is exactly why I love this site. I believe it is a 19 pitch prop that is on there now, so from what I am reading it should be good. Talking to a few others, it seems tubing will definitely not be an issue. If I have any issues, it will be getting a heavier water skier "out of the hole". Like I mentioned, I will just have to experiment with how many others I can have in the boat at the same time.

Post Your Comment
6/12/14 @ 5:19 AM
Wolfden
Wolfden
USER since 4/7/09
should have no problem. If you need a better hole shot for getting bigger people up, you can always drop a couple pitches in prop, you will lose a little on the top end, but you only pull a skier at 20-30 mph anyway. Or go to a 4 blade prop will help. But you will probably be fine with what you have. I have an 18ft fibreglass with a 125 on it and can pull 200 lbs person on skis with 4 in the boat. Use a 19 pitch s/s prop vs the 21 that was on it when I bought it.

Post Your Comment
6/11/14 @ 6:45 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
should have no problems i have seen people skiing behind a 30 hp

Post Your Comment
6/10/14 @ 7:43 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
As kids we used my dads 40hp and pulled 2 of us on skis. 85 is plenty for most applications. We even skied behind my friends 20 hp row boat. I dont know specifics on props but different props will give you different power levels depending on what you like to pull.

Post Your Comment
6/10/14 @ 11:06 AM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
Thanks for the input guys. The boat is from the early 90's, but is in great shape and couldnt pass up this deal on my budget. It is definitely designed more for pleasure boating than fishing. Im about 220 pounds myself, but I plan on being the driver and would be having tubers/skiers much lighter than me. The 85 hp Mercury motor on it is in great shape. I suppose I will have to experiment with how many people I can have in the boat and still pull someone. Equipment for water sports definitely adds up.

Post Your Comment
6/10/14 @ 10:57 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
Back in mid 80's we used to tube and ski off dads 45 HP tiller on a 16' alum boat. Heck as long as you don't try to ski up a 300lb person u should be fine

Post Your Comment
6/10/14 @ 10:53 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
You should have no issues with those speeds, unless your looking to barefoot.

Post Your Comment