converting points to electronic ignition

7/6/14 @ 10:54 AM
ORIGINAL POST
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
I have a 350 chevy in my boat that currently has points. My friend gave me a new distributor to drop in but I haven't been able to figure out all the details of the change yet. Any pointers? Do I just remove the old distributor and drop the other one in? I have done some mechanical work in the past so I have some knowledge it is just more the wiring that I don't want to mess up.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
7/7/14 @ 11:19 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
just never assume parts are good have had several new parts that didnt work

Post Your Comment
7/7/14 @ 11:42 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
Yes Marine grade is generally speaking a higher quality component. But a distributor isn't any different. The cap and rotor though could be marine rated.

Anytime you buy replacement parts for your boat I recommend the highest quality you can afford. But you will get charged more at the marine dealer than at the local auto parts store. A distributor cap with copper contacts is the best. For points and condenser buy Blue Streak. For plug wires a good quality silicone high temperature set. Don't cheap out on parts. If you're doing the work yourself you're saving about $100/hr.

I'll never forget going to buy a replacement fuel pump for my Mercury branded Chevy engine. The marine dealer wanted $250 for a fuel pump with a length of rubber hose. The auto parts stored wanted $15 for the fuel pump and less than $1/foot of fuel hose. Guess it must cost Mercury a lot of money to package their parts.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment
7/7/14 @ 8:24 AM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
Thanks for the info. I may just buy the pertronix. Was talking to someone and he told me that I need a marine rated distributor and the one I have is just off a car. He informed me that using the one from a car could increase my risk of an explosion.

Post Your Comment
7/6/14 @ 8:44 PM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
I converted my 1975 Cruisers 165Hp Chevy straight six to an electronic ignition system made by Pertonixs. I had to replace the plate the points and condenser mounted to, but I didn't have to remove the distributor to do so.

Check out the link below:

http://www.pertronix.com/

Pulling a distributor isn't a big deal but you'll need to line up the rotor and mark the old rotor's firing position and then install the new one in the same place. You'll also need to be inline with the oil pump drive shaft.

With the Pretronix system you can use your old coil or buy a new one from them. If you're installing an GM HEI the coil sits in the distributor. I'm not sure about the wiring requirements for an HEI distributor.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment