Considering buying Stratos w/ 135 Mariner

6/23/15 @ 10:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
grahamky
grahamky
USER since 4/9/13
Hey guys, I'm currently looking at an 86 Stratos 169v w/ a 135 Mariner. Looks like a pretty clean boat. Don't know much about Stratos as I've only been fishing for a few years. I know Mariners are pretty much step childs of Mercs. Can anyone give me any opinions on this set up? It seems pretty reasonably priced.. Just didn't know if there's anything I should be looking out for when I go to look at it. I appreciate all the help in advance! Tight lines. **Would be upgrading from a 14ft Bayliner straped with a Force (That's ran great for 3 years)
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
7/5/15 @ 11:10 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02
Check closely for soft spots around the live wells. My guess is the guy hadn't noticed it right away, and there might be water intrusion and rot. For me, I'd look elsewhere unless you really like this boat for some reason. As for the mariner, imo it's a merc. Love mine.

Post Your Comment
7/3/15 @ 8:18 AM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
Repairing a crack in a livewell is an easy fix if you have a basic knowlege of glass and resin. Stress crack? Maybe, but there would be obvious other signs of stress if that were the case. Older Stratos boats tended to show gel cracking in the rear gunwale corners and the clear had a tendency to haze. Otherwise solid boats. The 135 Mariner is a great engine. Same block as the 150, similar torque. We rarely saw one for anything but a tune-up.

Post Your Comment
7/2/15 @ 6:32 AM
Fish'nGSP
Fish'nGSP
USER since 4/23/15
Well that would concern me a little bit. Is the live well cracked because of mistreatment or maybe the guy kept something heavy in there like an anchor and it bounced around. Like I said go over it with a fine tooth comb. You should be able to tell if it was abused or not. Also if your worried about any cracks in the hull Id have him take you on the water for a bit with it. I would think any major issues would show up on the water.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 3:07 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
Early Stratos boats were prone to stress cracking. If the livewells are cracked, I would not buy it. That would be telling me that there is possibly more cracking that I cannot see.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 1:44 PM
Stratos219
Stratos219
USER since 2/7/09
If the livewells themselves are cracked that would be a definite deal breaker in my opinion.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 11:47 AM
grahamky
grahamky
USER since 4/9/13
So the livewells being "cracked" doesn't scare anyone away from it too much?

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 1:10 AM
Stratos219
Stratos219
USER since 2/7/09
I agree, I would look it over real close and if there aren't any huge issues go for it. And any smaller type issues within reason are good bargaining chips to try and get the price lowered. Putting $500 into a boat really isn't that much, as was mentioned, that is probably less than a new boat's monthly payment. Almost every boat I've owned has required a little repair soon after I bought it. Even buying something "simpler" like a tiller can have issues. For me the biggest indicator of how well a boat has been taken care of is if it is heavily oxidized or has worn out carpeting.

Post Your Comment
6/25/15 @ 10:39 PM
Fish'nGSP
Fish'nGSP
USER since 4/23/15
Id say go for it if the boat is in very nice shape. Nothing wrong with a Mariner. All I buy is used boats. Would be nice to buy a new boat every time I wanted one but lets get real when a new one costs 30 to 60 thousand dollars who has that kind of cash laying around for just a boat to catch some fish out of? The guy that spent 500 bucks on his ski boat this year well that isn't too bad considering a new boat the payment might be that every month. Id say look it over real good, see if he can take you out on the water with it and go over it with a fine tooth comb if it looks good get it. Any older boat can be nice with a little TLC and some money. A new boat like that would run you probably 20 to 30 grand, think of the money you'll be saving unless you have a very good income like the guy that just buys all his boats new all the time.

Post Your Comment
6/25/15 @ 10:11 AM
grahamky
grahamky
USER since 4/9/13
Yeah I'm not sure without driving 3 hours to see this thing in person yet. But he wants 3900 bux for it which I thought seemed pretty fair. I guess I don't know what I'm getting into, but he said that they're "cracked" Maybe its not worth it if the livewells are shot.

Post Your Comment
6/25/15 @ 9:57 AM
Stratos219
Stratos219
USER since 2/7/09
If the livewells themselves are cracked, I'm not sure how you'd be able to fix them. If it's just the drain fittings, they are fixable but a pain to get to usually. Reconnecting the lines could be a problem depending on how they were unhooked. You might just end up replacing them with new ones.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts