SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Chugging motion trailering a boat

4/23/18 @ 5:56 PM
INITIAL POST
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

I have had my boat for years and it trails wells until I go on like hwy 41 in appleton and other concrete highways with sections in it. My vehicle starts going back and forth due to the chugging motion. I would get sick on a heartbeat if I had to deal with that for very long.  Does anyone else experience this? I believe it is the sections in the highway as I do not experience this anywhere else. Is there something I can do about this? 

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
5/19/18 @ 11:38 PM
dryice
User since 12/7/04

May sound like overkill, but 10+ years ago bought a 19' camper and had them add a wieght distribution hitch and sway bar. Some of the boats today weigh more than the camper did. I am glad I went that route. Never even felt it behind me. 

5/18/18 @ 9:23 AM
Cap'n
User since 2/19/05

I have towed a boat here in the valley for 30 years.  I can confirm that it is the highway and not your trailer. 10 west of appleton for a few miles, 441 north of calumet st, 10 east out of appleton for about 2-3 miles. All of those areas have a highway that is poorly constructed. If you get up along side a semi in those areas watch the trailer bounce up and down as they drive these roads. Than all of a sudden smooth. I have trailered all the way to lake erie and back, no bouncing til i get within 3 miles of my house. 

Cappy

5/1/18 @ 12:30 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Thanks for the replies. It's just sporadic sections mainly on hwy 41 and 10 around the valley area I get this and no where else. I wasn't sure if it was just me or something I needed to look into further. Good insight on hitch load to play with height to see if it helps. If it were a constant situation everywhere, would definitely look into making those adjustments.

5/1/18 @ 12:20 PM
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14

Same here live in the Neenah area and does it to all of my trailers too. Even drivers in the big 18 wheels appear to be bouncing in there seats!

Hwy 10 going west from Hwy 41 is another bad stretch (at least for the first couple miles)

4/30/18 @ 1:00 PM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

River chaser hit on the head. You have either too much trailer tongue weight or not enough. Experiment with different ball heights. A inch or two makes a big difference. It will solve your problem.

4/29/18 @ 9:05 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

??Can this issue be mitigated by lowering or raising the hitch point so more balance is achieved.  I flip my hitch stem upside down to get more balance, so the trailer is exactly horizontal. Not sure if this will help your matter or not.

4/29/18 @ 8:07 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Happens to me as well, only on Hwy. 41.  It was kind of alarming the first time, but now I know it's just that section of highway and don't give it a second thought. 

4/29/18 @ 6:51 AM
one1shot
User since 12/31/09

Put more weight on your hitch.or front of boat.

4/24/18 @ 9:59 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

Trailers with torsion axles and/or disc brakes are most prone to this. There isn't much you can do to.

If you have drum breaks and you have this issue you may reduce it by adjusting up your breaks. This will take some free play out of the surge brake actuator. 

And there are just some times you'll feel it and nothing can be done.

4/23/18 @ 10:07 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
I have towed my friends 621 Ranger with tandem axle trailer.  When we are on 41 around Appleton and up to GB, the "chugging" has been noticeable.  I initially asked him if his trailer's tongue weight was correct, but he said it was.  Like others have said, it may just be the road.
4/23/18 @ 6:30 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Welcome to 41 between west bend and Oshkosh.... all my trailers have done it... it’s the highway

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE