Center Rod Storage - Modification

1/11/12 @ 6:44 AM
ORIGINAL POST
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I am looking to modify the center rod storage on my boat. I really like the idea of a wide rod storage locker, but the tubes 1. limit the number of rods and 2. make it difficult to slide rods in/out What I want to do is take out the face place ( is riveted, so need to grind/drill out ) and remove the tubes, to change the storage into a big storage area. I will need to fashion some sort of replacement for the tube system, as it is a 1 piece construction, like a sort of egg carton. A friend found some pics of other modifications done... I thought I would see if any Lake-Linkers have 1. their own mods and pics, and 2. any suggestions... I know this is still sketchy, but I think it is an improvement. Going to pick a material to line it with too... already have rod socks on rods, but want more protection open to suggestions pics of what it looks like from the factory, and 1 pic of someone's modification
Edited on 1/11/12 6:45 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
11/13/15 @ 11:50 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Thanks Tim, the tubes that came with the boat were almost unusable, I see that this year's model has changed the tube configuration...

...but I am happy with the wide open locker storage, and I also use the Cabela's rod covers for spinning rods, and I use the plastic mesh rod slicks for casting rods

I also put down a soft rubber floor in the rod locker to help prevent damage from vibration when towing

my onboard charger stays plugged in 24x7x12... batteries last me a long time too, with my last boat batteries still good from 2003-2012. If the charger has a true maintenance mode, it will prolong the life of your batteries... I check water levels in the fall and in the spring to be sure the batteries stay in good condition

Post Your Comment
11/13/15 @ 8:28 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Nihsif,

I didn't read all the posts below, but I scanned them. Couple of comments. I dislike rod tubes, would prefer the big open compartment, I have had both. In either case, I use rod socks, and if you are carful you can get two rods into a sock. That way you can put two rods in a tube, or if its a big open compartment, with rod socks you can pile on a ton of rods. It is not uncommon for me to have over 20 rods in my boat at a time, rod socks are a requirement. I initially bought some from Cabelas, then I picked up some material and webbing, and had my mother in law make some more for me. She had fun doing that.

As far as taking your trolling motor off for the winter because of magnets. Never heard that. I leave my trolling motor on the boat, and batteries in the boat as well. I make sure the batteries are fully charged, and I plug them in once a month. Never had an issue with the trolling motor, and on one set of batteries, I got 8 years, which is a very long time.

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 10:55 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
thanks guys, I have been leaving stuff out for the winter, but it's not a big deal to transfer to the basement, and never heard that about the TM, but it's on a quick release bracket, so that will go as well

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 2:52 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04
specifically I have heard that extreme cold temps can damage trolling motor magnets. This seems to be more of a maintenance recommendation then something that has actually happened to anyone....but if it detaches easy enough, take it in.

Post Your Comment
11/12/15 @ 10:14 AM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I always take off all electronics and any thing stored in water lake glup in the house.The rods and batteries are fine left in the boat.

Post Your Comment
11/11/15 @ 10:57 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
boat is going to be stored for winter in my unheated, unattached garage

planning to leave rods in rod storage, along with electronics, and things like gulp, etc

any issue with these items freezing?

Post Your Comment
5/21/12 @ 9:04 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
here's pic of my new rig... with Yamaha 70f

it fishes real nice... I went back to a tiller from a side console...loved the old boat, but like this one a lot now...

next modification will be to put some sort of mid way supports between the other rod storage... it's a kinda neat idea, but the length between the front and back is quite long...

... doesn't work for shorter rods, and longer rods bend too much

pics show the tubes in the front deck where rod tips go, and the rear where the rod butts go into "holding" tubes

Post Your Comment
5/21/12 @ 8:40 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
the almost finished product

we cut the rod rack in half, which allows straight access to the locker, plus it has the latch for the rod locker lock

it's still a smallish rod locker, but it is much more user friendly

we were able to get 10 rods in there without trouble... could get more, but it was better than the 8 semi-usable tubes

overall we are very happy with the results

I also want to thank #3 son for doing most of the work, while allowing me to supervise... ...and for keeping the project moving and meeting our deadline of spring fishin trip!!

the design was a lot of fun.. trying to figure out materials for the box...we shopped carpeting remnants, thought of building out of strapping and "some" material... nothing really grabbed our attention... then my son spotted the floor mats I had in the garage and say, "what about these?"...hahaha.. already had the materials right there...and so far, is working out just fine

Edited on 5/21/12 8:46 AM
Post Your Comment
5/21/12 @ 8:29 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
pics of the newly formed box... being held in place with duct tape ... until we determine something better

we used some air compressor hose material, slit it, and formed it over the exposed edges to protect the rods

Post Your Comment
5/21/12 @ 8:23 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
a closeup of what was under the floor board

a pic of the tubes minus the finish cover

another pic of the tubes, you can see how curved they are... made getting a rod in there difficult in addition to the short "entrance" area

to be fair... Alumacraft had small space to work with...but I think, swing and a miss

you can see the material we used to form our replacement "box". was some neoprene pads I bought to lay on floor for working in the garage...easier on the knees! ...turned out to work pretty well for our purposes

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts