Can't get pass 3000 rpms on my Mercury 60 4-stroke

5/7/15 @ 12:21 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BiG_aPpLe
BiG_aPpLe
USER since 9/25/06
When starting motor up it turns on and idles perfectly fine...when in neutral I will lift the fast idle lever up and it'll run up to 5000+ rpms...the problem is when I try to go full throttle it would get to a little over 3000 rpms and just stall and stay there...I don't hear any warning alarms or any thing coming from the motor......NEED HELP My boat was bought brand new in 2012 and is less than 100 hours on it..boat was professionally winterized this past winter too...my usual shop that I go to only has 1 technician working for awhile and they won't be able to get me in til sometime in June...
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
5/8/15 @ 1:16 PM
BiG_aPpLe
BiG_aPpLe
USER since 9/25/06
Ok.... Thanks allot guys... Changed the spark plugs and it picked up beautifully now

Post Your Comment
5/8/15 @ 1:16 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Could be lots of things...

A good place to start is with the basics.

Some have mentioned no spark in one of the cylinders. I'd pull all of your plugs out and look to see if any look different from the others. If you don't have spark in one cylinder and it is being dragged along for the ride, you should be able to see that in one of the plugs. Checking compression in all cylinders is also a good idea.

I'm with Muskie on this one. You should rule out low gas pressure. Partially plugged fuel filter, moisture separator etc.

Also, newer motors go into "safe mode" if they sense a problem (over heat, low oil, etc.) they limit the RPM to protect the motor. You usually get a ck engine led though.

Post Your Comment
5/8/15 @ 11:56 AM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
First, you should lot run your engine up to 5000 rpm's without it being under load.

Being a 2012, isn't it under warranty? Your dealer should not be putting you off until June, that is terrible service.

If you live anywhere near Lomira, give Josh at the Boat Doc a call. He is the best in the state on Mercury motors.

Hope you get your problem solved.

Post Your Comment
5/8/15 @ 10:44 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
I'd be looking at fuel restriction. Plugged fuel filter, water in the fuel filter, kinked line, etc. It sounds like it has enough to run without a load, but not the demands under full power.

Post Your Comment
5/8/15 @ 6:50 AM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
Yes spark plug coil. I would pull all the spark plug wires and check for spark.

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 11:41 PM
BiG_aPpLe
BiG_aPpLe
USER since 9/25/06
I'm not a boat expert but when you guys say coil... What do you guys mean.... Are you guys talking about one of the spark plug coil

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 9:33 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
Coil......

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 7:53 PM
BiG_aPpLe
BiG_aPpLe
USER since 9/25/06
Will try to change spark plugs to see what happens...I don't think it's my fuel cause I ripped it off for the winter and had the shop out gas treatment in it too...

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 7:48 PM
jlkohl
jlkohl
USER since 6/9/02
Could be moisture in the fuel. I had the same issue with a 115 four stroke. Had the tank drained, injectors cleaned and had a fuel filter (in line) installed and it worked perfect. (Had my boat in a very damp garage and didn't use it for quite some time (had a fairly empty tank). Been using Merc "Quickare and Quicklean" additive since then.

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 4:04 PM
SkunkonBago
SkunkonBago
USER since 1/19/10
Try changing sparkplugs. The fogging oil that is used to winterize the boat may have fouled a plug or two. Could also be fuel filter related, if equipped with one. Just a couple of ideas for you.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts