Buying two new Alumacraft boats

5/5/14 @ 10:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Steve.
Steve.
USER since 1/14/08
I am in the market for two new alumacraft boats. A 175 voyageur and a 165 explorer. I'm am planning on buying them both new and was wondering in your experience, what should I negotiate as far as price goes. Is 5-10% off asking fair or is it 10-15% fair considering I am buy two new boats at the same time. I could be way off here, but I primarily am looking for a good / fair deal. I'm not looking to rob anyone here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
5/9/14 @ 6:11 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Gotta love that Mendota, 7 years without a breakdown is awesome. That is what everyone hopes for.

I'm starting year number 5.

Post Your Comment
5/8/14 @ 8:11 AM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
My comment on Stark's and Yamaha/Alumacraft would be that if the dealer sets up the boat correctly, and the boat/motor are well constructed and reliable, you won't have a reason to revisit the dealer.

Bought my 07 Navigator / 90 Yamaha at Stark's in May 07, haven't seen any dealer since. Just the way you would wish it to be.

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 5:33 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Tuffy has a great point. Some dealers have a policy, that if you purchase your boat from them, you go to the front of the line for service, even after the warranty has expired.

Fast forward a couple of years, pretend you have a problem with your motor in the middle of the summer. A service backlog of two or even three weeks seems to be the norm. It would be really nice to be able to skip to the front of the line.

Also agree with some of the earlier posts, shop all over the state, and the Internet for the best price, and see what you can do with the closest reputable marina to where you live. The Internet has become the great equalizer when you're in the market to purchase a big dollar item.

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 11:19 AM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04
The dealer and service after the sale is the most important part of buying a boat(s).

The $500 you save won't do you any good while your sitting at home, because you purchased your boat from a dealer who has an incompetent service department.

I think you have a good dealer right there in Kenosha.

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 9:47 AM
muddog22
muddog22
USER since 10/21/10
Since you are going with Alumacraft, call Stark's Sport Shop in Prairie du Chien. They have the absolute lowest prices around on Alumacraft's. Even if you don't end up going there, it will give you a good basis on what you should be paying.

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 8:48 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
my experience was that the price wasn't necessarily negotiable, but was able to get things like free rigging of electronics, etc... extra seats or boat cover...

if you are buying a 4stroke, maybe get the first oil/filter change after the break in period...

was able to keep the total cost down with these type of things

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 7:23 AM
rkloehn
rkloehn
USER since 3/20/08
What I did was told them my price I was willing to pay and not a dime more(and that was an out the door price with tax title dealer fright and prep and paperwork fees) I based my price off the lowest sale price I found and then I took a few more $$ of that price. If you stick to what you are comfortable with and do not budge you should get your price

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 7:11 AM
Steve.
Steve.
USER since 1/14/08
No, I'm not setting up a guide service. I'm helping out my father buy a boat as well as finally after 10+ years pulling the trigger on the type of boat I have always wanted.

I have looked around and found that negotiating can be difficult. But I like the idea of getting service contracts possibly in exchange for money off.

Hopefully today will be the day I make an offer and come to an honest / fair deal.

What kinds of discounts have people here negotiated when purchasing their new boats?

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 5:32 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I don't think it's such an awful thing to ask for. Talk to multiple dealers and ask the same exact questions to compare their customer service attitudes. If, for some reason, nobody seems to want to budge on price, ask if they will throw you a bone on accessories or service plan deals. I understand the service deal might not work depending on how far away the dealer you choose is. I believe they should consider doing something for you buying two NEW boats!!!!!!!!!! Please come back and keep us updated. I'm sure a lot of us will find this very interesting!!! Good luck, and if you don't mind me asking, "Are you setting up a Guide Service?, or is it just a family thing?

Post Your Comment
5/6/14 @ 5:16 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
good luck getting anything off they stick to there price

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts