SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Bunk trailers

12/23/14 @ 9:01 AM
INITIAL POST
muskymstr62
PRO MEMBER User since 3/10/02
I have a 02 Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175. I'm thinking of getting a new trailer. I'm getting older and its hard to get my boat on my roller trailer by myself. This thing always floats to one side or the other and will push against the fenders. It is hard to winch up if you pull the trailer out more so you can center it better. I have a Shorelander now. I have see a large number of wide boats like mine with bunk trailers. I would like some information on how you like the bunks or would you switch to rollers. Thank you
Displaying 1 to 15 of 54 posts
5/16/19 @ 9:23 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Definitely going to invest in steps of some kind. Wife usually transported me in wheelbarrow and dumped me in boat. Wheelbarrow is hard for her to load and unload off truck.

5/16/19 @ 9:19 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Pretty much what I do fish, but not always a dock. Key for me on and off has been, bunks half way covered with water. Motor can pull boat off (150 hp, 18') with ease and nit hammering the throttle and messing up landing. Loading also half way in for bunks. Squares boat automatically. Of course this is for my boat only. May be different for everyone. 

5/15/19 @ 9:53 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Get yourself a set of steps so you don't have to crawl over the front.

BOW STEPS

or better yet get a Drotto and never have to deal with going over the bow again. Makes loading and unloading so easy!

unloading - I back in next to the dock, step into the boat and start the motor, walk to the bow and pull the lever and back off the trailer and tie to the dock.

loading - tie boat to dock then back trailer in. Drive the boat onto the trailer until it locks, shut off motor and trim it up. Pull boat out of water to level ground and install bow winch and safety. 

DROTTO

5/14/19 @ 7:25 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Well I've had the bunk trailer for 2 months. Been out 10 times. My concerns were for naught. Been very happy. Once I figured how deep to back in for unloading and more importantly for reloading it has been very smooth. And I've been out (3) times myself. Only problem getting my shot body into the boat. Tough climbing over trolling motor from trailer when your bones are shot. Thanks again for all the comments 

2/19/19 @ 9:06 PM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

Would the plastic decking or the plastic 2 by 4 s they sell at like Menards be the same thing as the ultimate bunks boards 

2/18/19 @ 10:22 PM
gunnysack
User since 2/24/06

Talked with some guides who run bunks , there complaint is the carpet wears out . Rollers last a lot longer than carpet. I have seen big glass boats trying to get back on the trailer in the Dakota,s and it was not pretty . To be fair get any boat crooked on a bunk or roller and its gonna be a problem . Me i still prefer rollers, shallow landings they shine .  

1/26/19 @ 5:39 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

gatorbak

1/25/19 @ 8:12 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

What ever you get make sure you have enough support,a boat that size needs 4 bunks with suport in the center of the bunk.If going roller one roller per 100lbs.If you have that and its set up right both are good.

1/24/19 @ 2:03 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Thanks again Gentlemen. 

1/23/19 @ 10:48 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

My old beater boat (1981 Mirrocraft Resort boat with 15HP Mariner) has a tilt / bunk trailer that makes shallow launches a breeze. The major reason I keep the beater boat is for smaller lakes and rivers with shallow launches.

It's fun to go blasting across Lake Michigan in the Lake Michigan boat, but there's also something serene about fishing a small lake or river.

We are so freaking BLESSED to live in Wisconsin, where you can easily do either.

RR

1/23/19 @ 10:30 AM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

I'm ancient also and have my set ways to load and unload and am quite capable, that is why I was worried about bunks. But a bit of checking out on local lake during the week should have dle that. I was mainly worried about shallower landings

1/23/19 @ 9:22 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

I have three boats (small, medium and large) and (of course) three trailers, two bunk and one roller. The (large) Lake Michigan boat is on the roller trailer, and I despise that trailer with a passion. That being said, if I couldn't float the big boat off a bunk trailer, I'd be totally screwed.

I'm "exceedingly neurotic" about having my boat "just so" on the trailer. It drives me nuts to have it even slightly off-center. The medium boat is on a bunk trailer, and it glides right off with one good shove and cranks right back on with a minimum of fuss. If it's off-center, one good yank slides it right back on center.

I had to laugh when I read the one guy state that he has WAY more trouble when somebody at the launch offers to "help" load the boat on the trailer. When you fish alone, you develop a system for one man. "Help" is not typically needed or desired. I reached the point where I had to ask "PLEASE don't "help me" load the boat on the trailer". LOL.

Even us doddering old farts are typically "quite capable" of loading up the boat, having done it 1000s of times.

RR

1/23/19 @ 8:55 AM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Thanks Big Musky. I've always had rollers and happy with them. Skipper Buds and others talked me into bunks. After reading about covering or changing out the carpet, I had to ask here. Will have them do it before I pick up. Thanks again to all

1/23/19 @ 6:57 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

I like bunks as that is all I have had on 26 years of boats.  I fish a majority of the time solo as my days off rotate and a lot are during the week.  Tie the rope off to the dock or somewhere on the truck and its easy as can be.  I don't have to worry about it rolling off at the launch onto the motor (seen that and it was funny).  It takes less than 5 to get it back on the boat most of the time unless the wind is off center.  Roller trailers are not my cup of tea.  Have a scar from a friend who had a roller trailer and said the lock was on his winch.  A cut down to the bone on my knuckle proved him wrong when the boat rolled off.  Either way practice makes perfect. 

1/22/19 @ 2:05 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Jeff, did you replace the whole bunk piece, so attach a piece over the carpet? Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 54 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE