Bunk trailers

12/23/14 @ 9:01 AM
ORIGINAL POST
muskymstr62
muskymstr62
USER since 3/10/02
I have a 02 Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175. I'm thinking of getting a new trailer. I'm getting older and its hard to get my boat on my roller trailer by myself. This thing always floats to one side or the other and will push against the fenders. It is hard to winch up if you pull the trailer out more so you can center it better. I have a Shorelander now. I have see a large number of wide boats like mine with bunk trailers. I would like some information on how you like the bunks or would you switch to rollers. Thank you
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
3/29/15 @ 8:19 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I owned one boat with a roller trailer, and am convinced Satan invented them to torment mankind.

The ONLY way I would own one again is if they were giving away boats with roller trailer purchases.

If you like to stand in the water a lot, and swear on windy days, get a roller trailer.

So much easier with a bunk trailer with guides, drive on, it self centers, hook up chain/strap, drive boat out and tighten if necessary.

Ever see a guy back a boat off a roller trailer? No? That's because if you unhook a roller trailer and start backing down a ramp, your boat is on the ramp.

There's a reason about 90% of the trailers you see at any given dock are bunks, and it's not that we haven't heard about the shallow landing advantage.

Post Your Comment
3/28/15 @ 8:55 PM
Jeff H
Jeff H
MEMBER since 3/22/03
Boats sit on a bunk trailer much better. Just ask my neighbor, who didn't believe me until his rollers wore a hole through his aluminum hull.

Post Your Comment
2/9/15 @ 12:44 PM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I have a SeaNymph 175 backtroller with a bunk trailer and guide on's. I put UHMW on the bunks which makes it very slick, I drive on all the time. I would never switch to rollers, in fact, I am looking for a newer boat and either pass altogether or offer a lower price if they have a roller trailer knowing that I will have to replace it. When backing into the water empty, I know I need about half of the guide in/out of the water. I can drive right on with very little power, and it's straight every time.

Post Your Comment
12/29/14 @ 5:37 AM
muskymstr62
muskymstr62
USER since 3/10/02
Thanks for all the information. To me it seems the bunk trailer is the way to go. I fish mainly larger waters so I would not have a hard time.

Post Your Comment
12/28/14 @ 9:34 PM
flint fredstone
flint fredstone
USER since 4/10/12
I have a 17 & 1/2 ' Yarcraft fiberglass it came with a Shorelandr roller trailer. I put up with it for years. As an old man gift to my self I converted it to a bunk trailer. Wish I had done this sooner. Self loading is a breeze. Call or E-mail shorelandr costumer service have all the part & model # off of trailer(found near yoke). They will guide you on the correct part. You will have to order it from one of there dealers . It's a little expensive but well worth it. Get the right road worthy parts from the manufacture! A friend and I with a rolling auto jack did mine in 2 hours. Good trailing !

Edited on 12/28/14 9:34 PM
Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 8:45 AM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02
I guess, I don't understand how you can not get it on a roller trailer? they line up every time; unless you have an old one roller at the end. Than , they should still have some tilt guides that the boat rides on.

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 7:24 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I have a bunk on my starcraft dad has a roller on his lund explorer. I like bunk because I fish the bago chain mostly and like driving my boat on. But as stated earlier if you fish up north more than acouple times a year I would go roller. If you leave the roller out of the water more and put some side rails on the trailer you shouldn't have a problem with centering the boat. We both really like Karavan trailers and he just bought a new one with the blue rollers on it so it doesn't leave black marks on the boat. I still drive the boat on my dad's roller trailer no problem as long as the rollers aren't to far under water. Electric crank would be nice. Also attach a anchor cleat to the trailer with a line leading to the boat so you don't have to hold the boat on the trailer when detaching the clip from the front of the boat. That was his major problem because as soon as you let go of the boat that thing flies into the water

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 5:47 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Keep your roller trailer put a electric winch so you can put the trailer in shallow so the rollers can do there job.

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 3:31 PM
hook, line&sinker
hook, line&sinker
USER since 4/18/07
If you do some fishing on Northern Wisconsin lakes where the launches are shallow you definitely need a trailer with rollers. Personally I fish Lake Winnebago mostly and I have a bunk trailer. Use it up North on the shallow lakes and it is awful, specifically when loading the boat. Sometimes you have to get in the water to launch it also. Not fun when the water is cold.

Post Your Comment
12/24/14 @ 10:59 AM
PLJake
PLJake
USER since 2/25/08
Same as Musky for me.....Stratos 385xf with bunk trailer. Carpeted side guides that are near tight to the boat. Centers itself every single time. I also spray bunks with silicone from time to time and can actually crank this fiberglass boat up the last foot if needed. Additionally, with carpeted side rails, I drive my 16' jon boat on my bunk trailer by myself all the time. To the original post....a lot seems to depend on the boat trailer combo with room for some manipulation using glides/silicone if needed. I love my bunks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts