Briggs and Stratton 5 hp 4 stroke

6/5/14 @ 9:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Just purchased a little skiff this evening. It came with a Briggs 5 hp 4 stoke. I've never owned an air cooled outboard, or a Briggs. Anybody have any experience with these motors? Reliability, cold weather starting, maintenance? Gave it good once over this evening, and it appears that the only thing to do maintenance wise is change the engine oil, and the lower unit oil, and maybe the spark plug once a year. Just curious if anybody has one and has had any experience with them good or bad. I like the fact that there is no water pump, should be able to get into some shallow / weedy spots without too much worry.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
6/8/14 @ 9:01 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
If I can get somewhat of a reasonable price for it, I plan to sell it JB....

If I don't, I may take your advice and get a ss prop. Only thing is, it has a different spline and hub than I'm used to seeing on a smaller outboard. I'll have to do some research and see what props are available for a Briggs.

Post Your Comment
6/8/14 @ 11:49 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
Just put an SS prop on it plmlk, I've seen on these forums that is the silver bullet!

Wink

Edited on 6/8/14 11:50 AM
Post Your Comment
6/7/14 @ 11:00 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Just took it out for the first time. Ran just fine,but it sure doesn't push a 14 foot boat very fast (not that I expected it to)

Think I'll looking into a used 15 hp, or something just a bit bigger.

Post Your Comment
6/6/14 @ 6:54 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
The only thing I've read about them that comes to mind is they are louder than other motors.

Have considered buying one for my jon boat a couple times (have a 2.5 Nissan)because they're light weight and low priced.

Didn't pull the trigger because the Nissan keeps going and free still beats cheap.

Post Your Comment