Boat Wiring 101

5/5/15 @ 11:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
thought this would be some good info for newbies to experienced boat owners iBoats article on basic marine wiring also.. Your tips and tricks are welcomed ----- thought I would put PLMLK's links here at the top Typical boat wiring diagram Boat trailer wiring
Edited on 5/18/15 1:50 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
5/19/15 @ 4:15 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Good deal Mrt.

Glad you got it working without the hassle of taking it in somewhere...

Post Your Comment
5/19/15 @ 10:48 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Got it. It was the ground from the light to the frame. Changed it out but it didn't work. Was able to check it again and attach using different screw and it worked. Go figure. Thanks for the input. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 4:55 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Igor-

Work backwards on this one...

Start by checking for 12 Volts DC at the pump. If you have it and the pump does not work, the pump is shot. If you don't have 12 volts move onto the switch. If you don't have it at the switch move onto the fuse.

Piece of cake to replace the pump or the switch. Toughest part is getting your hands in there. The last time I had to replace mine I put my teenage son on the job - they are way more flexible than us middle aged folk - they have better backs too!

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 4:50 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Couple of things...

Mrt - Likely a grounding issue, it almost always is! If you've cleaned up the obvious, and still have issues, there are a few places to look.

On your trailer harness 3 wires are male, and one is female. The female is your ground and it is white. The white wire leaves the harness and connects directly to your trailer frame - usually within a foot or so. Remove the wire where it connects from the frame, clean the frame / wire, and reattach. Also, sometimes the male connection from the tow vehicle breaks off inside of the female of the trailer. This is really easy to overlook. Had me scratching my head for an hour...

Also, I'm assuming you verified the ground at the light correct?

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 1:20 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
sounds like a ground to me

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 12:55 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Yes, I checked the output from the truck, first. It is a 2015 but you never know. It seems like a ground to me because I have a very weak current to the light when I turn the lights on. It works fine with brake lights and a turn signal. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 11:20 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
Are you certain it's the trailer and not an issue with the vehicle? Just replaced the lights/wires on my trailer and when hooked up to my neighbor's truck all the lights work fine, but when hooked up to my vehicle, I only have brake lights and turn signals. Might be worth looking into.

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 11:19 AM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
Was out on the Wolf River yesterday and my livewell pump quit working. Used it in the morning with no issues, but later in the day nothing. No sound at all.

Does not look like a fun repair if I need to replace the pump. Anyone ever try that? Still need to troubleshoot the wiring and the switch......

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 9:13 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Does anyone know of a reasonable place in Fond du Lac to take my boat to have the wiring fixed? I have a couple hours into getting my right rear LED working but just can't get it done. I know that I can take it to my guy at the marina but the $80 dollar shop rate seems like overkill for this problem. I have worked on the ground wires etc but it is just not working. Thanks. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 2:55 PM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
Spray some WD40 in the pig tails. And clean the ball hitch up a lil bit both of these have helped me.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts