Boat Trailer Tire Pressure

4/7/15 @ 4:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
i run mine at the cold max pressure it states on the tire sidewall. my tires state 50lbs. i have worn sidewalls also and it was from under inflation on a long trip over 400 miles.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
4/17/15 @ 4:43 PM
Greg P
Greg P
USER since 9/27/10
Bought new 16' in 2011 pulled it out of garage last fall for a trip, noticed threads on outside of both tires bad.Brought it to trailer and hitch shop that we bring all our work trucks to.He showed me the axle was already bowed downward.He replaced the axle from the manufacturer rated at 2000# with one rated at 3500# also had to purchase two new tires.I do not run a kicker motor,but do have some Hill WILLIAM in me.Coolers,gear,luggage.Come back with some antique furniture strapped down sometimes also.Never had this problem with my old 1980 boat!

Post Your Comment
4/17/15 @ 6:43 AM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Yep, me too. 40 gal. Tank 6 lbs/gal. for gas. It all adds up.

Post Your Comment
4/16/15 @ 7:20 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Not a boneheaded move at all SC - in fact, I agree that it is quite common. I load my boat up with camping gear all the time. Bikes, coolers, food, tent etc...

For me whether I leave with a full tank of gas or an empty tank of gas is 240 pounds.

I certainly wouldn't recommend loading your boat up like a U Haul, but a couple hundred pounds on a near empty tank shouldn't be an issue.

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 6:03 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
LOL. Smile well Padler... Not anywhere near as much as a gomer as you just sounded. My guess is, it's not as uncommon of a thing as you might think. The point was, if you add a kicker motor and items under your boat travel cover like 2 loaded tackle boxes, 8 rods/reels, 3 large duffle bags, a large cooler with drinks another large cooler with food, and misc. Stuff for a week+ trip in Canada for 3 guys not to mention all the common "boating" essentials 2 anchors.... It's several hundred pounds. Which is more than the manufacture intends the boat trailer to handle. Now if I could have thrown Ellie May on board.... I suppose i could have done without the food.

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 3:56 PM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I'm now running them at what it says on the sidewall... that being said, Loading down the boat with all the extra crap sounds like a real GOMER move... you're not from Mayberry, are you?? Can't count the number of times I've seen people with boats loaded like the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES!" WEEEE DOGGIES! THAT THERE TIRES SHREDDED!" "BUT PAW,ZONLY FLAT ON THE BOTTOM"...HEY, WHERE'D GRANNY GO??? Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 7:58 AM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Opie Taylor, it's the tire manufactures recommendation. Under inflated tires are the number one reason for tire wear/failure. Another thing to mention that's slightly off point but still very important. Boat trailers are designed to handle the boats weight only. I made the following mistake years ago with a Lund Tyee 1850. The boat came with a single axle trailer that all 1850's come with. I added a kicker motor and then while packing for a trip to Canada loaded down the boat with all the weeks long gear, food, drinks, clothes... For three guys. I had new tires installed before leaving. By the time we made it to International Falls, one tire was completely! Trashed. By the time we got back home, I'd gone through the spare and another new tire. With one severe blow out at 70mph some where in Minnesota. Later to find out the trailer axle was slightly bent from over loading causing the tires to fail. The weight capacity of most boat trailers is Very close to the boats factory weight.

Post Your Comment
4/12/15 @ 11:22 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
Trailer tires are designed to be infated to the maximum pressure labeled on the tire sidewall while cold, not the trailer manufactures recommendation.

Here are a few links to the facts about trailer tires and your vehicle tires.

Trailer Tire Info:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.do

Vehicle Tire info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1&affiliate=HM5&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!62690668933!b!!g!!_cat:tires&ef_id=VSpoCQAAASKvkLKo:20150412160049:s>

Good Luck

SS

Edited on 4/12/15 11:24 AM
4/11/15 @ 2:10 PM
Opie Taylor
Opie Taylor
USER since 9/17/14
Even if the load is light and there's a hard, bouncy ride, you guys recommend using max. cold tire pressure?

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 4:19 PM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I have a dual axle shorelander that shorelander requests 50 psi.

Post Your Comment
4/7/15 @ 5:10 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Never run trailer tires less than the max cold psi.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts