Boat trailer axle repair

10/27/15 @ 8:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I have an older ('89) Smokercraft that has an obsolete trailer axle. I damaged a spindle when I blew a bearing recently and discovered that I could not order a replacement axle (obsolete). I am trying to find a place that would build up my existing spindle and machine it back down or weld on a new one. I am a very good welder, but do not want to screw up the alignment and cause further damage to the axle. If anyone knows someone in SE Wisconsin that can do this type of repair I would be very grateful. Otherwise I would be OK with a custom axle to fit my trailer if not too much $$$. Thanks. Jimmy
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
11/8/15 @ 7:17 AM
Blkhwkbob
Blkhwkbob
USER since 5/27/09
EasternMarine.com go to the trailer parts superstore section. Get a whole axle cheap. All you have to do is weld on the two mounting plates.

Post Your Comment
11/5/15 @ 11:11 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I second Tom's Trailers in Menomonee Falls

Post Your Comment
10/29/15 @ 12:37 PM
wwdave
wwdave
USER since 3/14/06
I have used toms trailer, had blowen a bearing burned up the spindal, i had the old axel and droped it of at the store and they asked if i could wait while they made up a new one. laso had electrical brake drums add as one was shot. very reasonable ww.dave. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 5:55 PM
bighammer
bighammer
USER since 7/18/06
I had the problem shore lander trailer obsolete , bent the axel when I hit a groundhog on 90/94 west bound bent the axel, couldn't find one tried every where finally friend of mine clamped it down to a welding table and took a d-9 cat and straightened it out a pretty good job and cost me a case of old style beer good luck in finding a new axel or your repaired Sad Smile

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 3:40 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I'll give Tom's a call tomorrow. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 1:04 PM
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
USER since 7/14/07
Try: Tom's Trailers in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin at 262-252-4555. Look up their web page or give them a call.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 10:26 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Looks like Champion trailers out of Slidell Louisiana will build a custom axle to specs. Only $175 too. Might go this route if I cannot find anyone to repair the old one. Then again, I am cheap, so I might just try to weld on a spindle myself. Decisions, decisions.

Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 9:51 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Your lucky if you can do those repairs yourself. I admire people with such talents. I know I would have to go the new axle way and have it done.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
10/27/15 @ 8:31 AM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
Have you tried northern tool and equipment They have a lot of trailer parts.

Post Your Comment