Boat in colder weather

9/15/15 @ 9:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ciezkl07
ciezkl07
USER since 11/18/09
Hey everyone I just bought a used princecraft with a 100hp Yamaha 4 stroke on the back and wanted everyone's thoughts on maintenance when the weather gets cold. (October and November). What kind of oil to change to. Also pointers to keep the moisture out to avoid it freezing between trips. Thank you!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
9/17/15 @ 11:13 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I normally change my lower unit oil just before it gets super cold...I do this because it is really annoying and painful job trying to drain and replace oil as thick as mud from the cold. I really use my boat all winter anyway so I do a spring and fall change.

I would also recommend bringing a shovel with you, spud bar if you there is ice on the lake and a big tub of sand or kitty litter. It is easy to get stuck on a landing and it is very slippery if other boats have launched before you.

I also will warn you that with a bunk trailer that has carpet, it will hold water (AKA Ice) between outings when below zero. Be prepared for boat to slide completely off trailer once you unhook it.

Post Your Comment
9/16/15 @ 10:57 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
When taking your boat out of the water simply tilting the motor down and letting it drain isn't enough. Tilt it down, tilt it way up, tilt it back down again. Water has a funny way of finding places to hide in a motor.

I push things as late as possible so I'll bring an ice chisel along in order to break up landings that have skimmed over enough. I'll also toss a couple bags of barn lime in my truck in case a launch has frozen water on it.

After using a boat all summer long some compartments might get a tad disorganized. Once that first frost hits I'll go through and straighten anything out. It sucks having to fumble around with disorganization wearing heavy clothes in 30-35 degree temps.

I make sure I have at least one extra rope along because conditions can get pretty darn sketchy later in the fall. A couple of years ago I tied that extra rope around my waist and to a pair of boat cleats because it was so windy. Didn't fish too long that day but the thought of falling into 40 degree water wearing ice fishing clothing prompted tying myself off to the boat.

Post Your Comment
9/16/15 @ 8:27 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I use my boat year around. True we do not get as cold as it does up north but it still gets cold. I always drain my livewells and put some RV antifreeze and then let the circulate around a bit. I pour some in my bilge and down my pump out holes. Use to have livewell lines bust all the time and haven't since I did that. If i need the live well I just fill it and drain it several times then when I get done I drain it and do it over again. Most of the time I never use it again until its warmer. A five gallon bucket with a lid will keep my Crappie in the winter. defiantly do the lower unit grease it could save you lots of money. If your boat sits at home on a trailer remove the drain plugs. I once had a friend that stored his boat outside with a trap on it. He had removed the plug but a fish formula lid stuck in the drain hole. He noticed that his tires looked kind of flat and when he checked the air the pressure was correct. He took the cover of his boat off to find a huge ice cube. Not good!

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
9/16/15 @ 10:57 AM
popi
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
Oct, don't worry about it.Just lower your motor when your done and don't use your live well in mid-late November ,drain your lower unit at end of season and put in new gear lube. don't leave her empty.

Post Your Comment
9/16/15 @ 10:42 AM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
Just make sure you drain the lower unit, and your live wells, and you are good to go. Definitely run some fuel stabilizer towards late season, so you are ready for off-season storage.

Those engines are as reliable and low maintenance as you could ask for.

Post Your Comment