Boat engines in March

2/1/16 @ 8:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ciezkl07
ciezkl07
USER since 11/18/09
I wanted to ask a question on preventing any engine damage that might occur during the month of March due to cold temperatures. I have a carbureted 4 stroke 100 HP Yamaha. What steps do you take to take to offset the cold water and temperatures on your engine? While in the water and when I store my boat (most likely outside) Thanks for time everyone. The walleye run is approaching!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/4/16 @ 1:45 PM
ciezkl07
ciezkl07
USER since 11/18/09
I really appreciate the very useful information everyone.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 10:16 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Outboards will perform just fine in March, as long as you take care of them. Biggest things are let it warm up before you hit the throttle. I do this in the summer as well, but I have Smartcraft Gages and can easily monitor my temp's.

Second thing is drain the water from lower unit when done. Yes they are self draining, what I do, is lower the motor to the running position on the trailer while I am tidying things up/ Then pull kill switch, turn motor over a couple times to pump any left over water out. Trim motor up and you are good to go.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 10:46 PM
haulin bass
haulin bass
USER since 4/8/07
All excellent comments. I would also add that when you start it let it idle for several minutes before going full throttle. On a side note, I use my Yamaha 150 starting in March every season and it performs flawlessly. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 7:13 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
The biggest risk is water in your lower unit that freezes, expands, and splits your lower unit in half.

With the top plug in place, unscrew the bottom plug (don't remove it, just loosen it) and see if any water comes out.

Oil floats on water, so if any water comes out you know that you have a leaky seal. If just oil comes out you are in good shape.

Also, if water does come out, drain your lower unit completely, and refill with oil. Then take you motor into a marina for a pressure test to see where the leak is.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 10:52 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER since 12/26/10
Just keep the motor vertical,they are self-draining.No real need to run it out of water to try and purge remaining water out of it,does more damage than good.

Also make sure your seals in gear case are good,with no water in lube.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 4:10 PM
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
Carbonated? Does it run on soda or beer?

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 9:24 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
On my Suzuki 140 I will lower and rase the motor 4 times and give it a little shake between also when I get the boat back home will store with the motor down.

Post Your Comment