SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Best Trolling Motor Battery?

6/18/18 @ 10:30 PM
INITIAL POST
goosekiller48
User since 12/20/10

I’m in the market for a new battery for my minn Kota terrova 55 lb thrust. I hear good things about run time on agm is it worth the money? and what brand batteries are you guys having luck with?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/19/18 @ 12:24 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

I run an AGM for my trolling motor and honestly could not tell you how old it is. I have had it in the boat for quite a few years now and it keeps going  . I use a 2 to 6 amp charger on both my batteries  and charge after every trip.  Run the biggest you have room for and make sure to have the  right battery charger to maintain it . 

6/19/18 @ 12:20 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Interstate lasted 6 plus years.

6/19/18 @ 10:19 AM
Jeff H
User since 3/22/03

I "spoke" to a guy on Facebook recently who was in the battery industry. He stated that a lot of the batteries are made by the same manufacturer , in the same facility, the only difference being the battery case, i.e. different cases for the different brands.

Of course there are " good, better, and best" levels of batteries, but again, a "good" battery from brand A should be the same as a "good" battery from brand "B." 

Also, he said that not 'all' batteries are made by the same place, but that a lot of them are.

6/19/18 @ 9:41 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

Not sure if money is an issue, but I would stop in at a local auto parts store and ask if they have any older deep cycle batteries on the shelf. I had an Advance Auto sell me 2 27 series for 40 each. They were each only 6 months old on the shelf. I am starting season 3 with them and not a single issue. Also if you want extra life out of a battery, you can connect a couple in parallel. Basically doubles the size of your battery while keeping it a 12V system. I have gone 2 and half days without charging them on a weekend trip and still had half charge on them.

As long as you maintain and take care of the battery, that is what will extend the life of it. 

6/19/18 @ 7:13 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I go with the biggest Fleet Farm battery that I can fit in the compartment.  I keep a trickle charger on it at all times and check the water at the end of the season.  Going on my 3rd season and it still holds a charge like it's new.

6/18/18 @ 10:57 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
I buy mine at WalMart. What's more important than the brand of battery, is a quality charger. A cheap or the wrong charger will shorten the life of your battery significantly.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE