Anyone use bearing buddies?

1/28/16 @ 3:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mkjo
mkjo
USER since 8/18/06
I have been having problems with water getting into my trailer's wheel bearings the last few years. I have replaced the seals and dust caps numerous times, but nothing has worked so far. I am now considering putting in bearing buddies this spring and looking for opinions from anyone who has used them. Anyone using them?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
2/5/16 @ 10:20 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I looked up liquid lube hubs and they still make them. I used too have Turbo Hubs and they were great. Don't make that kind anymore. I'll ride my grease hubs for a few years cause I know they're in real good shape. I don't think twice about going back to oil bath hubs. I loved them. Bearing buddies help a little if you got em packed and inspected.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 11:22 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I agree, go with an oil bath style, much easier to maintain, and with the oil floating around your bearings will run much cooler.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 2:35 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
Had them, got rid of them. I went to oil bath and they work great. Still need to check the play every so often (once a yr at least), but they are what the semis use on their trailer hubs and they last. They run cooler than greased hubs and therefore the bearing will last longer as well. Mine use biodegradable oil and will absorb some water. When yhe oil gets contaminated with water, the oil will turns from red to brown. I never had that happen. My brand name is Liqa-Lube out of Lake Mills. Not sure if they are still around?

Post Your Comment
1/30/16 @ 9:24 PM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
USER since 4/16/11
What "Horbie" Said. They work and only add grease till the spring and plate. Just barely Move.

Post Your Comment
1/29/16 @ 9:35 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I had oil bathtubs on one of my past trailers and loved them. Can't find them anymore. So I went to Vortex with the 100,000 mile guarantee. I know it's something you can't prove but they are good hubs.

Post Your Comment
1/29/16 @ 9:09 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I have never tried the oil bath versions but have had bearing for years. And I agree, they do work. Even with them, I repack my bearings every 2-3 years. I have seen hubs with the zerk tapped into the middle, I sure would like to give them a try.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
1/29/16 @ 8:44 AM
reelehooked
reelehooked
USER since 6/22/14
Went to oil bath hubs 3 yrs ago and have never looked back! Hub runs 80/90 weight gear lube and stay cooler than grease hubs by far. Plus I can service them in about 15 minutes per hub with new lubricant. Spendy to get setup but once you do you will thank yourself

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 6:48 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
When putting them on you have to remember to fill the void between the 2 bearings. Other wise it may take a long time before the grease ever makes it back to the inner bearing.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 6:36 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
Water will enter the bearing when the trailer is backed into the water with warm or hot bearings. The cooling process inside the hub causes a slight vacuum sucking the water in. If you let it sit a while allowing the bearings to cool water intrusion is typically not as bad. A Bearing Buddy pressurizes the bearing assembly, counteracting any vacuum. When greasing it only pump enough to slightly move the plate. Too much will compromise the rear seal. They do work.

Post Your Comment