Alumnacraft livewell leak

1/31/16 @ 3:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Rizzo22
Rizzo22
USER since 1/23/04
I bought a 2008 Navigator last season and noticed that when I Use the livewell it fills up the hull with water.It must has a broken line or something disconnected somehow.Did anyone hear of this problem before ,I could use some ideas as where to start looking
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
2/6/16 @ 10:45 PM
Rizzo22
Rizzo22
USER since 1/23/04
Thanks for everyone's help.It ended up it was the open /close valve for the live well.I had to take out the battery boxes and underneath them I could see a red valve with a wire that ran to the open close switch on the side of the compartment.I ran water in the livewell and could see the valve leaking.It ended up it only needed a new O ring. 60 cents and 4 hours and it was fixed.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 10:12 PM
shedhuntr
shedhuntr
USER since 2/15/10
When that boat was stored in the winter it is very important to winterize the live well you need to fill the live well hoses with RV anti freeze usually there is a fill on the transom of the boat usually has a screen on it you just unscrew it and pump anti freeze in that way I would bet your live well line froze with water in it and cracked it is made of corrugated hose like a wind pipe and the water settles in between the ribs if there is water in your hull that's what happened you can bet on it

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 10:14 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
I had an '08 Navigator that would get water in the bilge from the livewell. Mine came from splashing over the top. A little expanding foam where the gap was and no more problem.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 9:17 AM
Viszla-Terrier
Viszla-Terrier
USER since 12/27/10
I have a 2014 lund. Occasionally would find water in bilge area. Think I finally tracked it to water splashing out of the top of the rear live well. It appears it's not sealed at the top in one corner. Irritating.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 1:36 PM
Rizzo22
Rizzo22
USER since 1/23/04
I got the middle section of the floor up but couldn't see much from there.I checked the overflow and that seems to work.There is alittle water in the hull now ,so I am going to run the pump and draw some water in the line and hopefully see where it is leaking.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 12:51 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
If it's leaking at the pump (most likely), you won't need to pull up any floor as the pump is located in the transomwell.

If it's leaking at the overflow or where the pump empties in to the livewell, you will likely have to pull up some of the front decking to get at that. Not too hard - just remove the screws.

I'd check the connection at the pump in the transomwell first.

sc

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 12:26 PM
Rizzo22
Rizzo22
USER since 1/23/04
The first owner didn't mention anything was wrong.The first time I used the livewell I couldn't drain it because the drain lever was disconnected (should of been a clue).I fixed that problem so now it drains .I think it is when I use the pump to fill the live well is when I get the water in the hull.Removing the floor is the only way to get at the plumbing? It doesn't look to fun of a job.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 11:10 AM
s.s esox
s.s esox
USER since 12/22/14
You have a problem with the livewell plumbing there's a loose fitting, break or leak somewhere. It won't be easy to fix because you'll have to pull up the floor. This problem isn't unique to alumacraft. I also have an 08 navigator and there's no problem with livewell leaking however my last boat had this problem the hull would fill with water while running livewell .

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 10:07 AM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
I've got an '09 Navigator and have not had nor heard of the problem - guessing it either broke when you got it or the previous owner broke it & didn't tell you.

When you fill the livewell and turn the pump off, does it slowly drain or stay full? That will tell you where to look.

If it stays full - look at the overflow connection (on the starboard / right side of the boat). If that's broken, the livewell will stay full but anytime you run the pump excess water will drain into the boat instead of out of it. If that's not it, it could be leaking right at the pump inlet in the transom well.

If it drains slowly, it's a connection either right below the livewell or at the back in the transom well. To find out which, you will have to fill it and go in and see - you will need to remove the battery trays in the bow to get at the front connection.

sc

Post Your Comment