MORE
Boats & Motors

88 johnson overheat alarm

3/10/18 @ 9:43 AM
INITIAL POST
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Hi guys.  Im out now and was havibg trouble getting the boat started.  Killed batt for motor.  So i switched out trollling motor battery and got it going.  Now i left it idle while i switched batteries again now my overheat alarm sounds constantly while key is on.  Water is pumping through like it should i know its not overheating.  Any suggestions on fixing this?  

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
3/24/18 @ 12:00 AM
17wrench
User since 9/2/15

V4 Cross flow is a good motor. Got the model #? Or do you know the year? 

Prior to 1996 Warning Alarms

No Oil- Beep every 1/2 second

Low Oil- Beep every 30 seconds

Overheat- Constant beep

1996 to Current all Warning Alarms are constant for a 10 seconds and the corresponding light illuminates on the tach or system check gauge.

3/11/18 @ 12:26 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Same as the OP's issue...

If you have oil in the reservoir, and you are certain your motor is not overheating, the most likely cause is the overheat sensor or the low oil sensor in the reservoir. 

Disconnect both and see if the alarm stops.  If it does, replace that sensor.  

The sensor is essentially a resistor, if it gets too hot, it allows voltage to the horn (audible alarm)

If the overheat sensor has failed I would replace it.  The low oil sensor in my opinion really isn't a big deal.  The low oil sensor simply ensures that there is oil in the reservoir, it has no idea if oil is actually being delivered to the engine. 

I think it is a good idea to check the oil level before each trip to ensure that the engine is actually using oil.  Remember, the best a two stroke ever runs (most performance too) is just before it blows up.  

3/11/18 @ 11:23 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

One other thought, it could be the oil sensor.  

The alarm means overheat, or no oil.  There is a magnet in the oil reservoir sensor, sometimes it falls off, and ends up in the bottom of the oil reservoir, and then you get the dreaded beeeeeppppp!!!!

3/11/18 @ 11:18 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

If the alarm is constant, and sounds at start-up on a cold engine, I agree, no way it could be overheating.  

I would suspect the sensor is shorted to ground.  

I would locate the sensor and disconnect it and see if the alarm goes away.

If it does, replace the sensor.  

3/10/18 @ 8:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

They were great motors but I lost one because the port pump failed.   Alarm went off.  I shut it down and let it cool off.  I checked the oil tank and it was good.  I was 7 miles offshore on Michigan so I fired it back up and went in.  Alarm never sounded again. I fried both cylinders on that side of the motor.  Sold it for parts.  It was old enough to not rebuild.

3/10/18 @ 8:22 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Was a vro.  Now i mix the gas.

3/10/18 @ 12:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Is it a VRO? If so, get oil the pumps checked.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE