6hp Kicker??... Please help...

1/2/16 @ 6:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TRPierguy
TRPierguy
USER since 8/23/11
I own a Mirrocraft 1676 boat with a 40hp Etec Tiller. Looking to add a kicker motor as I mostly troll on Lake Michigan. Kicker would serve as a back-up motor, save hours on main engine, and save fuel. Trying to decide on the Evinrude 6hp or 9.8 to match my Etec. The 6hp four stroke is one cylinder and weights 57lbs, while the 9.8 four stroke is two cylinder and weighs 104lbs. Transom width is 76 inches. I would really like to go with the 6hp because of the lighter weight and lesser cost, but really afraid of the noise/vibration of a one cylinder. Anybody trolling with one cylinder kicker and having success with them? Thank you!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
1/24/16 @ 12:44 PM
TRPierguy
TRPierguy
USER since 8/23/11
Thanks guys... really appreciate the information!!!

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 2:45 PM
EZ
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01
Good idea on the Ram. May have to try that on mine, as it does bounce around when running.

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 12:50 PM
JRMusky
JRMusky
USER since 9/5/09
I have a Merc 5 horse kicker on the back of my Alumacraft 185. I can get 5mph out of it. I came up with this, a Ram trolling motor mount to stabilize the motor when tilted up.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 8:15 PM
pollockalope
pollockalope
USER since 6/30/08
Hey Bud

I just bought a 4 stroke 6 hp. Tohatsu motor two seasons ago. Tohatsu, is making all the 4 stroke motors below 40 horsepower for Mercury and Nissan. Same motors, different wrapper, different PRICES!! I wanted a Merc to match my 90 Horse,but decided save a few hundred $$$ and went with the Tohatsu.

Depending on model, some come with an alternator to charge batteries while trolling.

Hit me up if u have any questions!

Post Your Comment
1/12/16 @ 1:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
A 6 hp 4-stroke should work great for your boat. I had a 6 hp Nissan 4-stroke that I sold a few years ago and since that time, I bought a 16.5’ Sylvan that has an 8 hp 4-stroke Mercury on it as a kicker. It’s not a true kicker motor and even though I changed the prop to a low pitch, high thrust model, I can barely get down to 1 mph and that’s dialed all the way down to idle. I wish I’da kept the 6 hp.

I’ve had several low-hp motors that I’ve used as kickers over the years and never had a problem with the mounts/brackets. With that said, I don’t enjoy going out in rough water so my boat doesn’t get beat up very bad.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 6:26 PM
EZ
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01
I also have been running the single cylinder 6 hp Merc 4 stroke as a kicker for Lake MI trolling since 2005, and very happy with it. Also got me out of a bind in Canada when main motor konked out. Putted 10 miles back to camp at 6 mph.but we made it. Have it mounted directly on the transom of a 17 ft, Yarcraft; a bit more vibration than a 2 cylinder, but not annoying. Also very light to remove when towing skiers or tubing.

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 8:30 AM
TRPierguy
TRPierguy
USER since 8/23/11
Thank you B Fish. Appreciate it!!

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 5:23 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I had a 1 cylinder 6 hp Nissian (same as a Merc) that I used as a kicker for years.

So to answer the question if it vibrated? No it did not, it actually ran very smooth. Like others have mentioned the mount on most small motors are very poor and can not handle the pounding when the big motor is running. To eliminate that concern I mounted and after market manual trim system that was very robust. It was about $150 but don't recall the name. But it locked it in the up position very well and released it for use easily.

So it can be done.

I have since moved to a larger rig with a 9.9 Pro Kicker

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 2:33 AM
TRPierguy
TRPierguy
USER since 8/23/11
I think they would both be considered low HP motors. I'm familiar with Mercury's Pro Kicker with stronger mounting and strap system, but aren't most motors that are considered "kickers" low HP motors? I have heard of guys implementing various support systems to secure low HP motors when main motor is at full speed.

Post Your Comment
1/2/16 @ 10:47 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Are either of them actual kicker motors or just low HP motors? The reason I ask is because if they're not true kickers then they're mounts are not built heavy enough to take a pounding of running wide open with the big motor.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts