MORE
Boats & Motors

2003 Honda 50 hp 4 stroke - burning smell - advice wanted

8/18/18 @ 10:44 AM
INITIAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I have a 2002 Lund w '03 Honda 50 hp 4 stroke outboard - boat and motor are well cared for and run great - this season I have noticed a burning smell occasionally from the motor - it is not a bad smell and a friend recently said it was from a camp fire when we fished just off an island - then the smell came again and was definitely the motor - the smell does not last long - the water stream is good and constant and I can not figure what it may be - any opinions? thanks!

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
8/19/18 @ 10:31 AM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

The smell occurs after the motor has been running a while.  The smell does not last long and may re-occur during a fishing outing and sometimes does not.  It is not a noxious smell like burning plastic etc.  There is no smoke evident either.

As suggested, I will check the battery terminals as well as look for any kind of oil leak.

8/18/18 @ 8:13 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Is this smell coming when you first start the boat?

Make sure your battery connections are all tight - NO wingnuts.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE