1995 30 horse Johnson runs and starts great then?

6/1/15 @ 7:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
walleyejak
walleyejak
USER since 1/19/10
So I've got a problem with this motor starts great runs great for the first quarter mile then bogs down and can only go about 5 mph. Any ideas please? Thank you! Wj Sad
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
6/10/15 @ 11:21 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Also as stated earlier check the venting try opening the gas cap and see if issue goes away. I had a similar prob on a 9.9 merc it was a plugged vent on the tank itself. I have seen same issue when the gas ball ( the primer ball) goes bad. 1 do a compression test see if motor is in spec 2 run motor with gas cap open 3 change plugs 4 run motor with completely different tank and fuel line and new gas 5 change all fuel and vacuum lines on motor 6 have carb rebuilt

These are all easy to do and cheap and most likely one is the cause of the issue.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 11:07 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Replace all fuel lines from tank to carb

Post Your Comment
6/9/15 @ 8:51 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I bought a used 15 HP for my son, from my neighbor. The motor was maybe 15 years old, but had sat for 10 years, it looked brand new, it was reall hadly used. First thing I did was take it to my mechanic and just have him go through it to make sure gaskets and seals were not dried out. He did it was allo good. The motor would start and idle just fine, but woudl nto run for beans under load. Back to the mechanic we went. He thought that maybe I had a small crack in a rubber line and it woudl be trail and error to find and fix it. I just had him replace everu rubber hose on the motor, that fixed it runs fine.

Post Your Comment
6/2/15 @ 8:14 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
USER since 1/21/12
My first guess is venting problem with fuel. Or a connection that is rattling loose on the throttle linkage.

Post Your Comment