SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

1977 85hp cuts off when put in gear in lake but goes in gear on muffs

10/22/17 @ 9:10 PM
INITIAL POST
Pimpshack81
User since 10/22/17

I just bought a boat with a 1977 850EL 85hp.. runs great on muffs but the 2 times I've tried to put on the lake it runs and Purrs great... but as soon as it's put in gear it shuts off.. no sputter or any thing just shuts off... what is my problem ? Please help... new info.. just investigated and noticed gas pooled up under carbs.. would that be my issue 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
10/24/17 @ 5:37 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I read the link, and it did have some good advice.  However, I doubt it is the ball, as that is under a negative pressure, If it were failing, air would leak in, gas wouldn’t leak out. 

Also, those older carburetors are  known for failing with today’s fuel. 

10/23/17 @ 10:10 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08
Just read the link I posted. I would recommend reading through it and trying a few of the suggestions there as well. May be easier than a carb rebuild. But the gas under the carb does lend to that being the issue. 
10/23/17 @ 9:36 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

The pool of gas is a definitely a clue.   

This may sound crazy, but I believe it may be a fuel delivery issue with the carbs.  On the muffs you have absolutely no resistance and the motor has to do very little work.  Put the boat in the water and the prop has to move the whole boat (lots of resistance), and more work = more gas that your carbs can't provide. 

Just a hunch, not a mechanic, but do enjoy wrenching on my own stuff and trying to figure things out... 

My guess would be carb rebuild and a lync and sync.

10/23/17 @ 7:30 PM
Pimpshack81
User since 10/22/17

Yes it will run all day in the lake as long as it's in  neutral ... but when I click it in gear poof it cuts off... on muffs it runs great.. I can put it in gear and get the prop spinning and rev it up... I did some investigating and found a pool of gas under the carbs... would the cause it to cut off when put in gear on the lake?

10/23/17 @ 6:32 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

I am not a mechanic but can search google. Not sure if this will help. Good luck!

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/98396-engine-stalls-under-load.html

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE