15HP motor problem

8/31/15 @ 9:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
USER since 6/15/01
Hi. I have a 15HP Chrysler SeaKing motor, and recently have been having this problem. My last trip out, I was using my motor at a very slow speed, just above idle, to troll. Basically a little bored of not catching fish. After trolling 3/4 the length of Lake Elizabeth, I headed back to dock, and about 30 seconds into full throttle, my motor slows back down to just above idle speed. In neutral, it revs up nice and normal. Reverse, not to bad or off normal. In forward, it is slow as heck and does not rev up like normal. What happened? Thanks for your help!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
10/2/15 @ 12:32 PM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
USER since 4/16/11
Thanks for letting everyone know.......what fixed your problem. It is good to see that someone' makes a easy fix. New plugs used to be cheap.lol. Always Start with plugs. Budman knows.

Post Your Comment
10/1/15 @ 9:18 AM
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
USER since 6/15/01
Actually, I just replaced the plugs, but when I took the lower plug out, I was able to loosen with my fingers.

Post Your Comment
10/1/15 @ 4:50 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Budman was the big winner on this one. He was the first poster too!

Post Your Comment
9/30/15 @ 7:47 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Thanks for circling back and letting us know what the problem was - that helps everybody out!

Post Your Comment
9/30/15 @ 7:43 AM
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
USER since 6/15/01
Thank you to all. The issue was with the plugs. I replaced both and ran great!

Post Your Comment
9/5/15 @ 6:59 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Fuel issue. Check all hoses for cracks but my guess is carb issue prob the diaphragm. Good luck finding parts check out the old marinas up north.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 7:10 AM
BEARBOY
BEARBOY
MEMBER since 6/17/01
check your hose fittings and make sure they not cracked

Post Your Comment
9/2/15 @ 7:19 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
It still sounds like a fuel delivery problem...

Post Your Comment
9/2/15 @ 5:46 AM
Bass_Pike_man
Bass_Pike_man
USER since 6/15/01
The motor runs great. Revs nicely in neutral and reverse. Once in Forward, it barely revs up. The get up and go is gone. All the arms and cables are moving as they should.

Post Your Comment
8/31/15 @ 6:43 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I doubt it is a spark issue, as if the spark was weak or dropping out your motor either wouldn't run, or would run really poor in both forward and reverse.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, likely the carb or the bulb.

When your motor starts to die, is the bulb firm or squishy? When the motor begins to die, pump the bulb and see if it makes a difference.

If it isn't a bad bulb or diaphragm, it is likely a carb that needs to be rebuilt / cleaned or both.

80% of outboard issues are fuel related, for older motors like yours, I'd guess 90%. They were never designed to run with ethanol - it really does a number on them.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts