12 Volt Wiring for Trolling Motor

3/30/15 @ 9:33 AM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I would like to increase my run time for my 12 volt bowmount motor. I'm currently running one group 27 deep cycle and would like to add another in parallel. Problem is that my forward battery compartment is not big enough for a second group 27 battery. I do have a comparment under the passenger console where I could put the second battery box but my battery terminals would be a few feet from each other. I know that's not an ideal situation. Is this advisable and if so, what gauge wire should I use for the connectors? Thanks in advance, I've gotten some great battery advice here in the past.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
3/31/15 @ 4:18 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I personally would opt for a matched pair of batteries. Years ago I didn't buy into that line of thinking and learned the hard way. Tossed a 2nd battery in my boat the way you intend to, it was a month after the other one was purchased, and two months later they both took a dump because the older of the two caused the other to equalize. Frustrating... Even if there is only a 1%-2% chance of this happening I'd go with a matched pair.

When you buy batteries always look for the manufacture sticker on them and match them up that way as well. You can dig around at a Fleet Farm today and find batteries that were manufactured in late 2013. No thanks. If I was buying batteries today I'd find a set that had 3/15 on them or at worst 2/15 on them....not 11/13 or 2/14.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 5:32 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I was planning on hooking them together in parallel. My existing battery was purchased last summer and was only used maybe 4 times. I have properly maintained the battery and kept it at full charge except for the 4 times that it was used (battery was charged immediately after use). I plan to add an identical second battery to my existing battery. I get that adding a second battery to an older used battery can cause issues with overall battery life but is my existing battery "new" enough yet? I'm running Fleet Farm batteries so it's not like I'm dropping hundreds on an Interstate or Die Hard Platinum.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 4:09 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
Are you planning on running one at a time or hook them together? If you hook them together, you'd be better off getting two new ones (matched) and not adding another one.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 12:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
UPDATE:

So I see that Fleet Farm sells battery cables up to 48" long. They are labeled "heavy duty" and are 2/0 gauge wires. So I guess I answered my question about whether it's possible. Now I just need to know if it's a good idea. I don't think that I'd need to go any longer than 36" and may be able to get away with 24".

Post Your Comment