12 volt to 24 volt upgrade

4/13/15 @ 3:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
skipster
skipster
USER since 11/1/04
My 12 volt Minn*Kota PD55 only works on hi. I already replaced control board & foot pedal. I'm considering an upgrade to a 24 volt system Terrova. What do I need to do? What gage wire for series connection is recomended? Do I need to change any other wiring? This is on a 16' 10" SmokerCraft. Should I go with 12 volt Terrova?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
4/22/15 @ 1:39 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
While you are upgrading your Trolling Motor from a 12 to 24 volt system, don't forget your batteries. You are going to want two identicle battereis, don't buy one new battery to go with your old one, as the old one can bring the new one down. Good thing to upgrade the batteries in pairs. Seeing that your boat had a 12 volt system, this leads me to beleive that you don't have an 18-20 foot boat. That being the case, I would go with a series 27 deep cycle battery, you are not neccesarily going to need the extra weight of a series 31. Now remember these batteries need to be charged. You can pick up a 2 bank battery charger at a pretty reasonable price. I happen to like the MinnKota brand, but you can get reliable other models from Gander Mountain, or Cabelas. That way, each day after you have used your trolling motor, you can plug the boat in, and your batteries will be fresh for your next outing. Have fun with your new Trolling Motor.

Post Your Comment
4/18/15 @ 1:56 PM
alumalunker25
alumalunker25
USER since 9/21/12
Yes go with the 24v 80lbs of thrust you will be happy you did. Use MARINE 6 GAUGE wire there is a difference between home 6 gauge and marine. Marine is much more flexible and easier to work with. You will also have to upgrade your plug in. Do yourself a favor and just spend the extra $'s and get the "battery tender" brand it's much better then the rest of them. Amazon has decent deals on them. If you decide to not go with the battery tender brand make sure it's made for 6 Guage. You should also use the 6 gauge for the jumpers between the batteries.

I can't remember who I ordered my wire from but I can find out if you like. They were the cheapest and shipped promptly. Message me if you would like more info or have any questions

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 7:37 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
There are a handful of different stabilizers on the market but around here the most common is made by RAM. I also agree with the removable plate idea. I had a PD and upgraded, got the right removable plate and it bolted right into the old PD holes. The only quirk with my upgrade was that I went from a 42 inch PD to a 60 inch Terrova. The head of the Terrova sticks outside of the gunnel slightly but it's manageable.

A big bonus of having the removable plate is that I wired a plug onto my Terrova and also on the old PD that is compatible with the set ups that four or five buddies have. The PD is essentially a community backup motor that goes along with anyone in the group when they go on trips. One guy had issues with his Terrova a day before he was set to leave to fish a PMTT event so we just pulled my Terrova off my boat and slapped it on his in a matter of seconds. I wasn't using on those days anyway.

Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 4:17 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
80 lb Terrova's are great motors but you do need to hook them up correctly. I just wired up my third one, yes third new boat too. I also struggled with the first one until I learned a few things and upgraded my factory boat wiring.

First I always mount my TMs on a removable mounting plate, just in case you need to take it off.

Terrova's draw 56 amps at full power. Most connectors are not rated for 56 amps and will get warm and the connection can then get loose. The only connector rated for this that I have found is a connector from Motor Tender which is rated for 100 amps, you can get it off Amazon for $50. The other choice is to eliminate the connector and hard wire the TM but then you can not remove the TM very easily.

6 gage wire will handle 60 amps up to 15 ft long, if your wire run is longer than 15 ft you should run 4 gage. Heavier wire will not hurt anything, but lighter wire will. Also make sure you get a wire that is rated for Marine use. (Gas. Oil, Water, UV)

Because a Terrova draws 56 amps you need a breaker larger than that, go with a 60 amp Minn Kota resettable, off Amazon again for $25.

One more thing. Because a Terrova has a circuit board in it you should always either disconnect or shut off the power to the TM when you are charging or a voltage spike could fry your circuit board in the TM. You can unplug the connectors but that wears them out. A better option is to put a switch in-between the jump of the + & - terminals. Then all you need to do is turn off the switch when you are done and the power to the TM is off. You can get an On/Off switch from Blue Seas which is rated for Marine use and 100 amps off of Amazon for $30. But depending where you put the switch, this may make your wire run longer which is why I mentioned 4 gage.

Make sure you solder all the connections with electrical grade solder, not plumbing solder that has flux in it or it will cause corrosion. You also should put heat shrink on the solder joints.

I have never had my TM deploy accidentally but have heard they can if you do not retract them all the way. I have a small rope with a snap on it that I hook to the TM when I am running. When I am in heavy waves or on the road I hook up a Ram mount to lock it in. I Muskie fish so I have the TM shaft mounted on the Starboard side of the boat so I can deploy and retract it with my right hand and hold my rod with my left. This also keeps the port side open at the dock.

I have the hand held control but never use it, as then I am not able to cast. I have my TM linked to my Humminbird 959 and I run the TM through my locator if I need advanced functions.

Batteries: Make sure you get batteries that are made for trolling motors, not starting. I have two 31 series wet cell batteries. It is easy to install the batteries in my boat so there is no advantage to the AGM style which are made more to be turned on there side. I have an on-board charger. I leave the batteries in the boat year round but plug in the charger a few times in the winter. You could leave an on-board charger plugged in all the time, but then you have a fire hazard if the charger malfunctions. Leaving them in the boat is better than putting them in a warmer environment like a basement. In a cold environment the die-electrode (acid) slows down and doesn't react with the lead plates so the batteries last longer. The important thing is to charge your batteries every time you use them.

The wire and connectors will probably cost $150 dollars the Ram mount will probably be another $50. The mounting plate will be $40. I also carry a spare prop as I have had them break on rocks.

I know that if you follow the steps I have sighted you will not have any problems.

If you can't find the items, PM me and I will send you the links.

Have a good day. Smile

Edited on 4/15/15 5:24 AM
Post Your Comment
4/15/15 @ 1:18 AM
skipster
skipster
USER since 11/1/04
I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going with the 24 volt. What size circuit breaker is recommended for a 80# 24v? What type of stabilizer are you recommending? has anyone had a problem with a Terrova bouncing off the bow?

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 9:52 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Agree with what has already been said...6ga wire, circuit breakers, etc. I'd add that with a Terrova go and get some sort of stabilizer bracket. It's a cheap insurance policy for an expensive piece of equipment. I've known of a few Terrovas that have deployed while making runs across rough water. Even if for some reason it decides to deploy a stabilizer won't allow it to do so.

Before long you'll get very used to using the remote and will rarely use the foot pedal. Both are nice to have. I leave the foot pedal connected but use the hand remote 90%-95% only using the foot pedal for quick course corrections.

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
Scott F
Scott F
USER since 6/12/10
I just made the same upgrade from a 12 volt, 55lb thrust PD to a 24 volt 80lb Terrova. My boat already had #6 wire so all I had to do was upgrade my circuit breaker, and buy a 2 bank charger. I had to add a couple of wires that ran from where the on board charger mounted back to the second battery. I just got out with the new motor for the first time on Saturday. It takes a little while to get used the the new foot pedal but the extra power is great, the motor stows more easily than the old one did, and it turns faster. Spot lock, auto pilot and the remote were all worth the upgrade. You won't be sorry.

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 7:08 PM
skipster
skipster
USER since 11/1/04
Thanks Cap'n

Post Your Comment
4/13/15 @ 8:17 AM
Capt. Patrick Conger
Capt. Patrick Conger
USER since 3/21/13
I would definitely go 24v. A 55lb trolling motor on a 17' boat is fine for lake fishing, But can be underpowered for river fishing. Usually they want 6 gauge wire for your battery connections with 60amp breakers. Also they will want the same gauge from battery to plug. Bigger wire means less resistance. That being said, i know my boat does not have 6 gauge to the plug, but my boat makes the 12v to 24v switch in the plug, Not at the battery. Hope this helps.

Capt Patrick

(262) 894-4260
Post Your Comment