10 year old Honda 4 stroke

6/15/15 @ 5:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
dryice
dryice
MEMBER since 12/7/04
I have a 50hp that started running rough for awhile last year and again this year. I've used "Sea Foam" last year and it helped. But this year, even with a tank of fresh gas and "Sea Foam", it's running rough. Will adding "Quick Kleen" from Mercury Marine help? Or should I just take it in and pay to have the carbs, etc. cleaned? It appears I don't use the boat enough.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
6/19/15 @ 9:25 AM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
Probably the best thing to do, time saved , money well spent, peace of mind gained.

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 10:55 PM
dryice
dryice
MEMBER since 12/7/04
Thanks for the replies. I just want it fixed if it's broke. I'll take it in.

Post Your Comment
6/17/15 @ 8:56 PM
Gtuna
Gtuna
USER since 3/26/04
Bought a used 40 on a boat and had problems too. Took it to a locale dealer and they asked me if I ever got the recall on the thermostat seems my motor had the wrong one for 20 years.Motor runs like new the last 2 years.Cheap thought.

Post Your Comment
6/16/15 @ 8:05 AM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
I was having problems with my 16 year old 115 Honda. Tried sea foam and other cleaners. Didn't help. Talked to a Honda tech. He said check the fuel filter. That was the problem, got a new one from Iboats, now boat runs fine. This may not be your problem, but its easy enough to check. You can go on line and find good parts diagrams that will help you identify where the filters are on your motor.

Post Your Comment
6/15/15 @ 10:31 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER since 12/26/10
You are probably beyond chemical cleaners fixing it.If it is rough at idle speed,idle mixture should be readjusted.If it is overall rough,then carbs need a mechanical cleaning.

Post Your Comment