Zone C Recommendation

3/22/16 @ 8:54 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Grizzly700
Grizzly700
MEMBER since 3/25/14
I am preplanning for 2017. Myself and 3 friends will be going for kill tags in 2017 and will be looking for a guide, of sorts. My first Wisconsin bear hunt was with a normal joe that owned property and ran 7 bear baits. I think we paid him $300 and basically he provided the stands and active baits. He was very helpful with assisting me with a butcher and a taxidermist, which was very nice. He got a pretty good tip from me for helping with the animal removal and getting me to a good butcher!! As long as we can bring and run atv's, we can do our own removal. I am obviously looking for a budget minded hunt. I prefer to help out a smaller guy then supporting a bigger guide service. We are not looking for 500# bears, we are looking for an enjoyable hunt! We would probably be needing a cheap motel also. My nearest place to stay is Fifield and that would be a haul!! I am looking to be either near Tomah area or Ladysmith area but I am open to suggestion. Any help is appreciated if anyone knows of someone who may fit my requests! Thanks!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
4/27/16 @ 8:43 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Zone C is a hard one to find a decent guide in just because there isn't a lot of big parcels of land in that zone. A lot of guys get a C tag because they can get it in 3 or 4 years but then find it's not easy to find a spot to hunt.

Post Your Comment
3/23/16 @ 6:15 PM
Grizzly700
Grizzly700
MEMBER since 3/25/14
That is exactly the information that I am looking for. Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it and we can adjust our budgets accordingly.

Thanks!!

Post Your Comment
3/23/16 @ 4:25 PM
Fishy1960
Fishy1960
USER since 10/15/15
A do it yourself trip is always rewarding. But if your looking for someone to provide a reliable service for you and your group-your setting your self up for a disappointment in my opinion to mirror your last good bear hunting tag experience. Most average Joe's who run baits for others still have a lot of expenses and if they have guide credentials they need liability coverage, a license and will have to charge way more than 300.00. They would have to take some major short cuts to provide what your looking for. I run a 80-90% kill over bait every single year for the past 20 years. Last year was 15/18 with 1 wounded, If I have 30 baits out I'm using 70-80 -55 gallon drums of bait a year. They bait averages $60.00 a drum. So my bait per hunter based on 15 hunters is $240.00-$300.00 , that doesn't count my gas ,time, tree stand, Liability and leasing on my private land. The going rate for a guided professional hunt seems to be between $1000.00 and 1500.00 Something to keep in mind is that its also illegal for the person doing the baiting for money if he doesn't have a guides license. If he gets caught-the baits cannot be hunted and the show is over for all involved. Every year I and other guides have late calls from guys who's "to good to be trues baiting arrangements fell through" So I understand what your looking for but I thinks you should be aware that there are some risk in finding someone who is willing to provide guide service work options without guide service rates. You would be much better off getting rid of the middle man and doing the hunt and baiting yourself or hiring a established guide. I understand this isn't the response your looking for ,but I have seen these trips go south many times and its unfortunate. good luck

Post Your Comment