Youth Hunt 2015 (stories and pictures)

9/28/15 @ 5:09 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Mt Dew
Mt Dew
USER since 6/23/01
Looking forward to taking my 11 year old on the youth hunt in a couple of weeks. I really think this hunt is a great idea. If I had taken my 11 year old daughter last gun season she would have froze and maybe have been turned off to deer hunting. I know she may not get a deer but she will have a more enjoyable time than being out in the cold,
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts
10/14/15 @ 11:05 AM
GBEyeCatcher
GBEyeCatcher
USER since 7/24/07
BLK LAB - you are right on!!!! I had the pleasure of spending the entire weekend with my two kids for the youth hunt. They are both 15 and this was their last year. How fast time goes. With our busy schedules, sports, etc. it was nice to spend the entire weekend together hunting. We too QDM and are hard core bow hunters. My kids are the only ones allowed to shoot something under the 125 P&Y minimum. In fact they are the only ones that have shot something with a rifle in 12 years. We saw a boat load of deer. My kids already try to "best" their last buck. My daughter passed on three bucks (a couple were difficult passes for her)before she was rewarded on Sunday evening taking a beautiful 8 pt (her 3rd buck) with a 15.5 inch inside spread. Her excitement before and after the shot was priceless. She will have a hard time beating that one for awhile. My son passed on a buck but never got the chance at one he wanted to take. His time will come bow hunting.

I will not post a picture because there are way too many people out on Lake Link that all they do is complain or criticize people. Someone always finds fault with the hunt, your post, a picture, what is in it, etc, etc. Puke Puke Puke

Like a wise man once said...if you have nothing good to say ...don't say anything at all...

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 9:54 AM
BLK LAB
BLK LAB
USER since 7/18/03
Have to be honest, being a serious bowhunter for 30 years and being somewhat "old school". I was not totally in favor of this hunt for years. I understand how hunting was different years ago and how excited I was after finally getting my first buck and all the mistakes I made before finally doing that and that those mistakes made me a better hunter. No doubt today is just different but that's ok-everything changes, you just have to be willing to change with them. I took my 11yr old daughter Saturday and after practicing all summer shooting a scoped pellet gun and then shooting a rifle. I felt she was capable of making a good shot. It's a long story but it took 20 minutes to get her in a good position where I and she were positive she could make the shot and I couldn't be prouder. She double lunged her first buck.

Our group is all about QDM and land management, we have not shot a buck under 140 for over 12 years. She is the first kid our group has introduced to hunting and I have to be honest-this 4ptr had me as frazzled as I've ever been-EVER.

This is what hunting is all about!! And I'm proud to say I think she is hooked. I am a convert-This hunt is AWESOME and if done right with the right intentions is why we should all be called hunters.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 5:10 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
not to stir the pot, but the pic with "stillfishin" the gun is laying on the deer and pointing right at the kid... Worried

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 4:13 PM
Scott2
Scott2
USER since 7/7/01
Grow up drptine, this post wasn't started asking for opinions on the youth hunt. If you don't the youth hunt then take the proper channels to try to end it, otherwise start your own post and see how much support you get there. I for one support it entirely, I didn't have a youth to take out this year, but I have enjoyed being a mentor in the past and I think it's a great hunt. I get more excited for the kids when they shoot one than I do when I shoot one myself.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 1:57 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
I am just salty that opening day no longer has a meaning. I couldnt sleep for two weeks before the opening of gun season when I was twelve. I have kids but there is alot more to hunting than killing a deer and I want them to experience that. Most kids and most adults cant go and sit in the woods now days without some sort of electronic device like a phone or a tablet to pass the time. I am just a fan of tradition and I am not against a kid shooting a deer.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 1:42 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Congrats to all the kids and the proud parents!!!

drptine- If you know 50 year olds that haven't shot 7 deer in their lifetime, than that's either their choice, or they might want to consider a different hobby. I had over 7 deer down by the time I was 17 and that was when kids started at 12 and without the youth hunt. Kids miss sometimes. That's part of learning and growing up. When I was young and inexperienced I on a few occasions let my nerves get the best of me. Your post makes you sound salty and jealous.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 1:07 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
This girl has killed seven deer already? Wow! Why are we offering a special season just to these young kids? I know lots of 50 year olds that havent killed seven deer. Lets just have a any weapon three month deer hunt in Wisconsin.

Post Your Comment
10/12/15 @ 4:07 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
10 is too young for some and not for others.

My wounded deer story involves a 15 year old who has 7 kills to her credit. This is the first one that has gotten away.

Post Your Comment
10/12/15 @ 2:17 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
Is ten to young to start hunting? 50% of the people i know that I have heard reports from on this youth hunt have had wounded deer stories. Makes one wonder.

Post Your Comment
10/12/15 @ 1:50 PM
HammerII
HammerII
USER since 7/3/03
It can't get any better than sitting in a ground blind with your daughter and accomplishing her goal. We had this deer on camera multiple times and she said that is the deer I want dad. The pressure was on as I explained the difficulty of hunting one deer during the youth hunt. She said that was the one she wanted and if we can't get him during the youth hunt that would be okay, we could try during bow season. Last night of the youth hunt we sat in the ground blind. We planted a beautiful 2 acre plot that had an inside corner. Our ground blind was set up facing this corner. When we got in the blind we talked about our options and what she would shoot. She said that we would only take her deer. We sat for 2 hours and she passed other deer patiently waiting for the one. As shooting time was close to ending we talked about her desire for the one buck she wanted , and we would have to wait for archery. As she was taking her gun off the sticks I took a look out the side window. At 30 yards in the corner stood a deer I tapped her and said your deer. I put up the binoculars and said your deer. As I turned to her the gun was up on the sticks and she said I got him. Before I could say shoot the riffle roared and and he dropped and took off in the swamp. We could her him crashing and fall. we then heard him slowly trying to escape. She then fell apart, did I get him, I got him ( multiple times), I can't stop shaking, look at me shake dad. It was quite the scene and one we hope to share with others. We spent two hours looking with no luck and had a sleepless night. She woke me up at 5 am and said lets go. We hit the woods at 6:45, he was located 50 yards from the shot after entering he did a complete 180 degree circle. She experienced all the emotions of deer hunting by simply stating that is my deer.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts