MORE
Big Game Hunting

Wild Kakwa, AB Moose Hunt

4/26/18 @ 9:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06

Not sure where to look but I'm driving from Brookfield, WI to Grande Prairie, Alberta in October.

I own a cabin in Bayfield County, WI.

When I Google Maps routes, the shortest in distance is to my cabin, then Grande Prairie as 1,702 miles. The route from my home to Grande Prairie is 1,838 miles.

My friend recommended staying in the states as long as possible and the route he took in the past was 2,130 miles but that's 400 miles difference.

What I need to know is the cost/time/wear on truck pulling a trailer and road conditions. Does anyone have experience and opinions on this? I think going to my cabin first is the best, but I'll be driving through Canada longer and don't know their road conditions relative to gas prices if it's worth staying in the states longer. My cabin is right off US Hwy 2. Looking for cost benefit ratio.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 25 posts
11/21/18 @ 4:10 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Congratulations. And even though I won't be going, reading about your experience was very interesting. Thanks for sharing 

11/21/18 @ 2:36 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for Chris. I appreciate your open and honest opinion of your experience.

11/21/18 @ 11:38 AM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06

Thank you Mr. Seaguar

11/21/18 @ 11:36 AM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06

dsinwi,

I can sum up this trip with one word, "mud".  It got everywhere.  In my ears, up my nose, even on my rifle scope when I had scope covers on it!

I was 15 miles from British Columbia and could see the mountains.  We were in foothills.  I'm 49 years old and am in good shape.  There were some old timers in camp that just drove around with their guide on side by sides.

Wild Kakwa Outfitters.  There are not enough words to express what a quality hunt I had.  We had a choice between small cabins that sleep 4 (bunk beds) or a spike camp up in the foothills (where most of the big bulls were).

I logged about 50 miles in.  My buddy logged in 66 miles of walking.

One guide per 2 hunters is what we signed up for but as it turned out, I had my guide, Rick, for the entire hunt.  

It was a little more pricey than other moose hunts, but this particular outfitter is putting out the #1 or #2 bull in Alberta just about every year.  I didn't even get the big one he had me chasing with the bow!  My bull will gross B&C but not net due to many deductions.

I consider myself a pretty good hunter.  My outfitter commented on it.  Said it was refreshing to have someone willing to work hard and put in the effort to go after the big ones.  He says most clients are in the 60s and up, and end up shooting the first bull they see.  (Which was evident with 2 other bulls shot during my stay).

There were 8 hunters per week.  They have a HUGE territory and don't even cover 10% of it.  It's something stupid like 3,500 square miles.

Moose tags come with wolf tags.  I also shot a large coyote.  There are lots of bears.  The guides respect grizzlies and avoid them at all costs.  

There was no packing out of animals.  They find a way to drive to them, typically using side by sides and chainsaws to cut a path right to the carcass.

If you want to bow hunt, they have archery only hunts.  I made the specific request for both rifle and archery so I could try both. For ME, it was more important to get one that it was what weapon I did it with.  I sat sun up to sun down for 2 straight days without seeing a mouse or bird!  The stand I was at had trail camera pictures of a B&C class moose, huge, that visited 2 days before and 6 days before that.  I was assured that if I sat there every day for the 8 day hunt, I would get a shot.  That required a little more will power than I cared while my buddies were covered in moose elsewhere.

The food was excellent.  The guides were excellent and awesome to hang out with.

Like you, I wanted to go on a trip before my health caught up to me.  My good friend had already gone here twice and shot 2 bulls, saying this trip was worth it.  He shot a 52"er this time.  3 trips and 3 bulls for him.  45", 50" and 52".  Can't beat that.

We went 4 for 4 (with one lost due to a bad shot).  We came home with a 38", 52", and 56".  The lost one was in the mid 40s.

The weather changed per elevation.  It would suck in one spot, and then 10 miles away it was nice out.

I made a 355 yard shot and dropped him in his tracks with a Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag, 200 grain Hornady Precision Hunter bullets.

Feel free to ask me anything you want.  I will sing accolades about this place and experience.

11/21/18 @ 11:06 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Congratulations. That's a great animal. 

11/21/18 @ 11:02 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Chris,

Congrats on a fine animal!

Hunting moose with a bow is on my bucket list. If you don't mind, could you give some insight about the hunt? Guided? Cost? Things you wished you brought or things you were glad you did? Game care? I understand the logistics of travel but would like to learn a little more about the hunt from and actual hunter's perspective.

I've been looking into hunts in AK, Canada and Maine. I anticipate this may be something I do when I retire. Although I'm in reasonable shape now I may not be then, the physicality of the hunt is something that I may have to consider.

Thanks for any info you can share.

PM if you wish.

Thanks!

11/21/18 @ 9:31 AM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06

This was by far the best hunt I've ever been on, worth every dime.  We did enter through Shelby.  36 hour drive there and 42 hour drive back.  We got stuck in some pretty bad storms both there and back.  Calgary had a record breaking snowfall when we went through...18" overnight.  Shut down the highways.  Then, on the way back, an ice storm in Gillette, WY almost jack knifed my trailer and truck off a mountain and had to stop for the night.  Made for a 17 hour drive home on the last day.  

Hunted from a treestand with bow for 2 days without seeing an animal.  My rifle hunting friends were covered in moose in the clear cuts so I hung up my bow and on day 4 took this 56" wide giant.  

6/11/18 @ 9:48 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
The drive through BC and the Yukon was nothing short of amazing. I highly recommend it, some of the best country you'll see in North America.  Also if you take I-94, watch the traffic around the Twin Cities.  I'd try to plan it so you miss the rush hours.
6/8/18 @ 1:35 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06

Thanks fishnhunt14!  Awesome information.  Reflects what I gathered from Googling different routes.  I bet that was an awesome trip once you entered BC!

Gas prices are currently $1.42 / gallon more in Canada per the online calculator I found on GasBuddy.  I will indeed be entering through Portal, ND.

6/7/18 @ 3:44 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
I drove through Grande Prairie last year when I drove back from Alaska. Take I-94 to ND and cross the border in Portal, ND then get on HWY 11 near Regina to Trans- Canada HWY 16. Take HWY 16 to Edmonton then HWY 43 to Grande Prairie area. I made it from Grande Prairie to Madison in less than two days driving by myself, spent the night in Estevan, SK.  I thought the roads in Canada were good if not better than some of the roads here.  People really like to speed in southern Canada, I was usually pushing 80 mph and people were still passing me.  Can't remember exactly what gas prices were but definitely more than the US.  I remember when I was mapping out routes I determined it was better to take the shortest route going across Canada rather than straight down to US then over.  I figured it saved at least a half to full day of driving which meant one less night in a hotel so the prices probably evened out.

Made the whole drive from Alaska to Madison in 4 days by myself.  I thought the last two days from Grande Prairie to WI were the most boring since it was mainly flat and prairie, but still a nice drive and got to make up some time.  Southern Saskatchewan is like Canada's version of Illinois, not much to look at but seen lots of deer and moose.  It was weird seeing moose in the prairie but there was quite a few there.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 25 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE