Wild Kakwa, AB Moose Hunt

4/26/18 @ 8:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06

Not sure where to look but I'm driving from Brookfield, WI to Grande Prairie, Alberta in October.

I own a cabin in Bayfield County, WI.

When I Google Maps routes, the shortest in distance is to my cabin, then Grande Prairie as 1,702 miles. The route from my home to Grande Prairie is 1,838 miles.

My friend recommended staying in the states as long as possible and the route he took in the past was 2,130 miles but that's 400 miles difference.

What I need to know is the cost/time/wear on truck pulling a trailer and road conditions. Does anyone have experience and opinions on this? I think going to my cabin first is the best, but I'll be driving through Canada longer and don't know their road conditions relative to gas prices if it's worth staying in the states longer. My cabin is right off US Hwy 2. Looking for cost benefit ratio.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts
11/29/18 @ 12:57 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06

Thank you all for the kind words and sharing the memory with me.

If you are at all interested in a Canadian moose hunt of a lifetime, call Wild Kakwa Outfitters at 780-933-3227

Just spend some time on their website and look at the caliber of moose they harvest.  My story is definitely not unique.

Good luck to all!

Chris

Post Your Comment
11/28/18 @ 9:28 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck. That's some high level suckage. 

Post Your Comment
11/28/18 @ 2:24 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06

Drahts,

I want to with archery gear.  

Regarding crossing in Shelby, as is what happens when you have 4 guys with 4 different ideas, we voted, and I lost.  No harm no foul. Still a great trip but that drive along US Hwy 2 was the suckiest suck that ever sucked a suck.  If I go again, it will be my way.

Post Your Comment
11/27/18 @ 1:54 PM
Drahts
Drahts
USER since 9/8/17

Going back Chris?

You had mentioned you entered at Shelby, MT.  Something change that made you go that route instead of crossing in ND? 

I may be going back this year too, whitetail/moose combo.  I used my .300 Win Mag last time but may use my .270 Win short mag this time.  I like the idea of having that loaded magazine ready to load.  Seems like we see a lot of moose from the road going to locations we're going to hunt.

Post Your Comment
11/26/18 @ 3:36 PM
Safe Hunt
Safe Hunt
USER since 11/2/12

Chris,

Absolutely awesome description of your hunt, feelings, emotions, anticipation, thankfulness and more.

Well done.

This is what its about. A life long dream for a trip like this.

Thank you for sharing.

Post Your Comment
11/26/18 @ 1:36 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Chris

Thanks for the added story. Truly an experienced & thoughtful outfitter!

Congratulations on a all around successful hunt.

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
11/26/18 @ 12:58 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

You've inspired me to take action on my own dream of hunting moose. I started planting some seeds among friends this past weekend. Thanks for sharing additional info about the hunt and outfitter.

Post Your Comment
11/26/18 @ 12:27 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06

Drahts,

I personally didn't see any.  Another hunter and his guide had a monster drop tine buck cross the road in front of them on the way to their grounds.

I saw lots of pictures of past hunter successes. It's unreal how many big bucks they get.

I'm shocked Alberta hasn't downed a world record buck yet.  The Edmonton area has the bow only zone. My friend and taxidermist Randy Tomlinson just got back with what looks like a 180-190" deer.

I'm actually surprised I didn't see any whitetail.  When we began hunting the clear cuts, there were plenty of tracks around. A couple of spots were littered with so many tracks, my guide noted such on his GPS for a deer stand.

Most of their clients are tickled to shoot 140-150" bucks but the guys that hold out get some giants that surpass 180".

As far as the moose hunt went, when I said I cared more about coming home with a bull than what weapon I used, if I go back, I will leave my rifle at home.  They have natural mineral sites (it's illegal to bait) and I could tell my archery stand was being hit nightly because of the tracks that were left behind.  

Had I shot my moose at 50 yards with the rifle, I would've been upset, but it was 355 yards and to ME, that was as difficult as a 60 yard archery shot.  I've never been very good with the rifle at long distances and practiced a lot prior to this trip and it paid off.  The outfitter told us that you should be prepared for shots up to 400 yards, something I never thought was possible from me.  When the moment of truth came, and I was visibly nervous, he said, "Relax Chris. I watched you practice at the sight-in range and you were hitting bullseyes at 200 yards.  Just pull the trigger when the crosshairs are a little high. You can do this".  He was right, the bull dropped in his tracks.  Just to have him there and calm me down was worth the weight in gold.  I'm not sure I would've pulled the trigger without his reassurance.  That 5 second conversation was probably a guide's trick to calm my breathing down anyway.

I've experienced buck fever before, but nothing compared to this.  After the bull dropped and we could see it was dead, I dropped to a knee, shaking so uncontrollably.  Rick asked me if I was alright, and when I said I was fine, he said, "you don't look fine".

Lastly, and this may be important to some...When we got down to the animal, I was overcome with emotion.  I had dreamed of this hunt since I was a little kid and started watching hunting shows.  Our backs were to each other and I pointed to the sky and said, "Thanks Big Guy".  Rick thought I was thanking me and said, "You're thanking the wrong guy.  I had nothing to do with it".  I explained to him that I was thanking God for the dream come true, for the help with the shot, etc...Rick was pleased to hear that.  He said he prayed while I shot.  He said that him and his wife Rita pray every morning before the hunters get up for a successful and safe hunt.  He could've been pulling my leg, but it was a nice touch because God is important to me and I truly do believe He steadied my hand.

But, don't think for a second that this camp works like a church function...After the kill, I told the camp, "I'm going to get ripped!"  Which I proceeded to do.  I haven't been fall down drunk in 20 years.  One of the guides literally stayed up and kept an eye on me until I passed out.  I tell you this because I want you to know that these guides look out for you the whole time, even when you don't know it.

Almost forgot!  I fought through a hernia that I postponed surgery until after the moose trip.  If a 49 year old guy with a hernia could do this, anybody could.  AND, my good friend had a birthday while we were in camp and they literally threw him a surprise birthday party complete with cake and presents.  THAT is the kind of place Wild Kakwa Outfitters is.  Just south of heaven...

Post Your Comment
11/24/18 @ 2:26 PM
Drahts
Drahts
USER since 9/8/17
Great bull and story behind it.  Did you see any big whitetail bucks?  I know they produce them and offer combo hunts...

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 7:12 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Congrats on the great bull and thanks for sharing all the information

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts