The good and bad of logging?

1/26/15 @ 1:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Rempump
Rempump
USER since 5/8/03
We just found out the land owner is going to do some logging. He originally told us he was just going to remove tree's that were shading the crop fields. The logging started last week and it looks like they are removing a lot more than he mentioned. The property is 140 acres with about 40 acres of timber. From the looks of it, all of the white oak, red oak, hickory- pretty much all of the good trees are being taken out. The remaining property is corn and bean field. Does anyone have expierence with this type of logging? I am guessing this will hurt the hunting. What are the ups and downs? I am thinking there will be more area to put in some food plots but other than that, I am thinking this is not good.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
4/24/15 @ 10:56 AM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
Nothing like hunting a 2 year old clear cut in the Northern Part of the state where there are no corn fields. Logging is good and most sites have a forestry plan in place before the cut. It might be an eyesore for a while-but logging is essential in maintaining our forest and economy.

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 4:44 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
It's hard to get used too at first. Give it a few years to grow back and I think you will be impressed. (Assuming the deer aren't so thick there that nothing makes it past 4' tall). We cut a ton of junk birch trees this winter. It really looks like a mess because there's white crap laying everywhere But in the process we found several white oaks that we didn't know we're there. Now they are getting good sun and aren't getting beat up by the birches around them.

Post Your Comment
4/14/15 @ 3:01 PM
Rempump
Rempump
USER since 5/8/03
A little update- I took advantage of the new ground that was opened up by the logging and put in a clover plot. I removed a bunch or brush and made some brush piles and walk ways.

The woods don't look the best, pretty devastating really. What was once a beautiful hard woods is now some wood/brush piles with a few trees. Overall I think the loggers did a OK job of leaving some mature hard woods behind for reseeding and a food source. The deer are back in the woods along with the turkeys. The biggest thing I have noticed so far is the squirrels seem to be gone. It was nothing to see 15-20 squirrels and now I don't see a one.

Post Your Comment
2/19/15 @ 9:14 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I don't know if the DNR still offers conservation packages for purchasing trees for planting. At one time they were broken down into: Deer, Turkey, Upland etc. Might be worth looking into it.

Arbor Day Foundation costs a bit more but you might find some interesting trees to plant.

My experience, Logging isn't a bad thing. The land owner just found out that his trees were worth money. I had some done years back on grade and scale with a promised minimum. The end sale went to the Amish, that made it a cash deal.

Edited on 2/19/15 9:22 PM
Post Your Comment
2/17/15 @ 5:11 PM
CARPAZZ
CARPAZZ
USER since 2/10/05
Logging is great for deer. Remember deer are a edge species and logging will create those edges. Also deer will start using a logged areas right away feeding on all the new growth that will start right away and will continue to be a huge brows area for yrs to come. Down side is if you have to many deer in the local area you won't end up with much for desired regeneration but only what the deer won't eat. Have watched 40ac area of hardwoods turn into 40ac of balsam and spruce in 15-20yr time frame after being logged. Wish more people would log because it's a big help with maintaining or even increasing your local carrying capacity.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 3:20 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
So here is my groups situation and actions.....basically we hunt 300 acres. Front third is crops (food), middle third is mature woods fairly open but pockets of thick, back third is cedar swamp and river bottom with a river for a back property line. Deer bed in swamp, walk through woods to fields and vice versa. We hunt field edges and woods until the rut, when we invade the sanctuary. Sounds perfect except for the big variable....the weather. If we get lots of rain in the fall, the river bottom and cedars become overly wet. The neighboring property is considerably dryer and the deer keep edging their way toward living there and just passing through ours. We started clear cutting and select cutting areas creating bedding areas out of the swamp. Every area will eventually get cut...but over many years...making a diverse growth area. And it's hard to beat a logging road to get into areas quietly, especially if you pack the dry leaves with a pick up every so often. It may look like a mess at first, but it could very well be a really good thing for you in the future. Moving stands is a way of life when you get into this kind of stuff....

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 2:14 PM
Pwerfred
Pwerfred
USER since 9/10/14
logging can be a blessing or a curse. It all depends on how its done. The blessing is thicker cover. Too clean of a woodlot makes for an area that deer pass through, but don't live in. It will improve your turkey nesting cover, too.

The curse is that the first few years will change the deer patterns. If they take the wrong species at the wrong time, undesirable species will replace them and you won't get good regeneration of mast bearing trees. High grading of oaks can sometimes result in only maples growing in their place, as maple is shade tolerant and oak requires full sun.

I used to hunt next to an 80 acre clear cut in western Wisconsin. It was done about 35 years ago. Initially, it was a wasteland. After about 15-20 years, the stump suckers made it so thick and nasty, you couldn't hunt in it, just the edges. It made a perfect sanctuary bedding area that held GIANT bucks.

Trees are a crop that need to be harvested periodically. As with all hunting, learning to adapt to the changes to you hunting area is the hard part!

Post Your Comment