MORE
Big Game Hunting

Some Shooting Positions Every Hunter Should Master

10/18/18 @ 11:35 PM
INITIAL POST
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
User since 10/18/18

Learning the following shooting positions will help ensure you can cleanly and ethically harvest game under a wide variety of circumstances. 

Standing Shooting Position (Offhand)

The standing shooting position is the fastest shooting position to assume. gives the hunter the best field of view, allowing him or her to see over all but the tallest grass and brush.  

Standing Shooting Position With Support 

Support can come from a variety of sources: shooting sticks, a tree, etc 

Kneeling Shooting Position 

It is the second fastest shooting position to assume. When done correctly, it provides a fairly stable shooting position 

Sitting Shooting Position 

It takes a little more time to achieve than the kneeling firing position, but is even more stable 

Unsupported Prone Shooting Position 

It is the slowest position to achieve, but it is the most stable 

Prone Shooting Position With Support 

Increase your stability and make shooting at long distance much easier. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
11/25/18 @ 9:49 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

The public range here is packed during hunting season.  Mostly with people and their ARs but by folks shooting hunting guns also. It's a 100 yard range that only has sit down benches but at least they are trying. I am the worst, though. I never shot a round practicing. I even got the gunsmith to sight my rifle in for me. I shot at two deer and killed them both, so I guess I was ok. 

11/25/18 @ 9:08 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Good luck with that. I dont hunt but am a weekly shooter at a private range. My observations during the month or so of alot of guys sighting in before deer season. 90% of guys shoot less than 10 rounds, off a bench. 10% shoot more more than 10 rounds off the bench but only because they cant get their gun sighted in.

Last fall I was the only one using the rifle range one day. Guy comes out, shoots 3 off the bench at 100 yards. Then proceeds to shoot off another box and a half prone, kneeling, standing, and shot out to 200. Said he was going on a Kansas whitetail hunt. He was the only hunter sighting in I've seen do that for around 5 years.

11/25/18 @ 5:55 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

While holding a spot light, requires more practice than one would think.

11/6/18 @ 9:37 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Practice shooting standing up and all the rest seems easy. I have a hundred pack of 10 meter silhouette animal targets I've been slowly grinding thru with my 22 caliber air rifle, shooting at my favorite range, (basement). Two shots each at a set of 20 animals is a workout. Looking forward to hunting public lands up by Minaqua using walk, sit, walk method. Shot my buck while sitting in my chair last year for the first time. Harvesting with offhand shots has been the norm for me. Funny thing is my air gun weighs more than than the old 30-30 I hunt with, making it a joy to carry thru the woods. Can't wait for opening day!

10/24/18 @ 4:57 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Does the out of window method work while being on a slow roll as well as a complete stop?

10/24/18 @ 12:43 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

And the out-of-the-window position goes along with the "never kneel when you can sit" advice previously posted.

10/24/18 @ 8:19 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

You forgot the Pickup Hood Rest position.  It's stable and also provides a flat surface to set your beer on.

10/24/18 @ 5:16 AM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

Good advice... Never understand why hunters go to range to"practice" and do nothing but burn a box of ammo while seated.  Once rig is sighted in, practice those shooting positions.  "Never stand when you can kneel, never kneel when you and sit, and never sit when you can shoot prone"....   And the Off Hand position is the most commonly used, but unfortunately least practiced........   

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE