So how does Wisconsin inprove deer hunting?

12/7/14 @ 9:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
plumwerm
plumwerm
USER since 3/25/10
I have read and reread all the posts on the "deer hunting threads" What do YOU think would improve the quality of deer hunting in our state. Don't just blame the DNR but qualify your ideas on how to improve the hunt. I am 68 years old and have hunted since I was 12 and have gone through the many good and lean years and have no idea how to make it better but I'm sure that many of you have great ideas that the DNR has not come up with. Let's hear how you would make deer hunting better.
Edited on 12/7/14 9:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 195 Posts
2/19/15 @ 1:10 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
Smile

Post Your Comment
2/19/15 @ 7:35 AM
BigAL on BAGO
BigAL on BAGO
USER since 6/18/01
1) Find someone to manage the Deer herd who can see. 2) Find someone to manage the deer herd that can hear. (sportsman) 3) Find someone to manage the deer heard that can count. (deer, wolves, yotes, bears, hunters and tags) 4) Find someone to manage the deer herd that wants deer number back (kroll) 5) Finally....sportsman need to find a happy place in their melons that tells them killing is not entirely the goal, and the time has come to "take one for the team" and let that doe walk. The entitlement program is alive and well. Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 12:17 PM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER since 2/11/02
I think that hunters need to start taking charge of this wolf debacle and cull the herd along with the DNR pulling a Sergeant Schultz and "I know nothing and see nothing".

Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 8:51 PM
dell lake
dell lake
USER since 1/17/12
More Wolf Tags> Less Doe tags

Post Your Comment
2/14/15 @ 4:05 PM
stangl52
stangl52
USER since 6/23/06
I agree BB. And the hardest hit areas are the public lands. Like it or not, there are some very stupid and selfish hunters out there, and many do not care or understand the problems with shooting every deer that moves. and the DNR played toward THAT crowd, and many in that crowd were public land hunters. The result? Public lands are ruined. Some private land areas are over-populated, and others areas deer are darn near extinct.

a whole new philosophy is needed. But I have discussed this a million times before on LL, and most people are either too greedy and self-centered, or too......small minded.......to understand......or are simply afraid of changing anything.

In the mean time, I will just continue to enjoy my western hunts. The western states manage their game much better than eastern states, even with big issues like CWD, EHD, and the general decline in mulie pops........the western states simply know how to manage populations for the betterment of all hunters, not just large landowning ones who benefit from Eastern game management practices.

Post Your Comment
2/12/15 @ 6:59 PM
esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
USER since 4/24/08
bowbuckman you hit it right on the head.

Post Your Comment
2/11/15 @ 7:12 PM
lazyJ
lazyJ
USER since 1/22/10
1) Set a number of how many deer a hunter can shoot in a year. (gun and archery). No need to shoot 4,5,6 deer a year.2)QUIT giving out so many damn tags. Can not shoot every deer you see and expect the heard to get bigger and better. You read on here year after year people sayn, 6 guys in are group and we took 8-10 deer. The next year or year after, they say WHAT HAPPEND. No deer anywhere.

Post Your Comment
2/11/15 @ 12:40 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Sure, the DNR has a tough job, but to boggle management so badly, one almost has to try to do it. They did try, and it worked obviously.

Post Your Comment
2/11/15 @ 12:07 PM
duxup
duxup
USER since 8/5/05
CARPAZZ,

Just want to comment on what an excellent post you submitted. Pointing out the lack of knowledge to general ignorance of many who comment on the topic is an issue that is largely ignored, but which leads to most of the controversy.

Well done.

Duxup

Post Your Comment
2/9/15 @ 9:08 AM
CARPAZZ
CARPAZZ
USER since 2/10/05
The biggest thing that would help is for a much larger % of the hunters in the state to have some actually good knowledge about deer management and habitat management. Along with how those two go together. From hunting forums like here on LL to family and friends that hunt it has always puzzled me how so many hunters don't have a clue about good deer/habitat management. How many think that just because you have woods you should have deer and just because you don't see many deer well hunting doesn't always mean the area has low deer numbers.

I get sick of hearing it's the DNR this and DNR that. Keep in mind the DNR is trying to do a almost impossible job. The best they can do is give a recommendation on how a unit (county) should be managed. Each county is made up of a large number of localized deer herds not just one big one and each localized area is not = to the other. Might have a county that is being managed for 25 deer/sq. mi but that doesn't mean you don't have areas that have great habitat and could be managed for 40deer well just 10mi down the rd that area should be managed for 12 due to poor habitat in that spot. How many of you know how many deer should be in your local area? How many of you know if the local area you hunt is being over browsed, under browsed (can hold more deer) or the deer are in line with the habitat. Also deer aren't spread out = over a local area but almost always pocketed in the areas with the best habitat and if you don't hunt in one of those pockets you just won't see many deer. Like when I hear guys say I used to see this many deer 20+yrs ago. Could be due to over harvest true but more times then not I would put my money on the deer are more nocturnal now, the habitat has changed resulting in lower carrying capacity, the best habitat is no longer where you hunt or the deer were over populated back then. Those reason are more likely the case.

Not trying to sound like a know it all because I don't but do have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to deer and habitat management.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 195 Posts