Shooting Lane

12/20/15 @ 8:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
Because of the ideal conditions this year have taken on a project of building at new stand in the middle of our swamp. It is so thick that without some lanes a 30 yd shot from a elevated stand would be the max and probably less. Any thoughts on how wide I could make a lane without having deer shy away from it. We know they are in there big time and even a wet year like this there are all kinds of humps where they can bed and stay dry.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/8/16 @ 7:58 PM
mikieb
mikieb
USER since 10/11/15
Poison Sumac ??? Oh my.. I have had that 2-3 times myself...

Tomorrow, you call the doctor and get an appointment for the shot in your behind and take the pills....

That poison sumac is the worst !! really, go to the doctor.

Make sure no one else in the house touches your work clothes.

The cool thing about shooting lanes is it opens up the canopy for new growth that can be had at the deer's level.

Post Your Comment
2/8/16 @ 4:30 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
Got a case of poison sumac so am done cutting for the year. Lane is 113 yds long right now. Going to spray the sumac and cut 80yd or so next year. Lane, what the cover was, and the start of the business end.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 9:48 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
MEMBER since 12/11/01
When you cut your be sure to pile the brush in a pile for rabbits and other wildlife. I cut mine about 15 foot wide in the spring.

Post Your Comment
12/22/15 @ 8:31 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
Thanks for the input, I will post some before and after pic's

Post Your Comment
12/21/15 @ 7:18 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I agree with others. Hunt a cedar swamp and without the lanes, no shooting is possible. I use more of a extended pruning saw so I don't cut as many trees down. But that is more to save the trees that are there, than due to the thought deer care one way or another.

Post Your Comment
12/21/15 @ 8:49 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
My gun lanes are at least 20 feet. Deer hang out on them all time. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
12/20/15 @ 9:48 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Deer aren't afraid of shooting lanes...that's all just magazine filler. Cut them to the size you feel meets your needs. We are cutting down dozens of entire trees right now. Guess what the deer are doing...walking into what is in essence a gigantic shooting lane to eat tops. Your scent left on cut branches is another story though.------few things to remember. Anything you cut now will regrow some by next hunting season. And if you cut during spring/summer, that branch you leave for "cover" will be nothing more than a leafless invisible arrow deflector come november.

Post Your Comment
12/20/15 @ 9:04 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Cut them as wide as you want, by the time next hunting season comes around they will be so used to them they will be using them as trails.

Post Your Comment