Shed Cabin

12/5/15 @ 11:09 PM
ORIGINAL POST
buckmaster44
buckmaster44
USER since 12/5/15
I am planning on building an insulated 14 x 20 cabin on my hunting land. The cabin will be on skids so it is off the ground. Right now I am thinking of doing a shed/like cabin....basically an insulated shed that I call my cabin. Electricity will be run by a generator and there will be no running water. Not sure how I want to heat the cabin? For water, I was planning on having a 5 gallon water jug mounted above the sink and use that for water. I would like to hear what works well at your cabins or any advice you have.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
12/24/15 @ 10:11 AM
Eddy
Eddy
USER since 6/24/01
These guys did a fantastic job for me, decent prices as well.

http://www.cenwisales.com/cabins.html

http://cenwisales.com

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 12:19 PM
meatpuppets
meatpuppets
USER since 1/7/09
We used to use a direct vent propane heater. That went out after 15 years. We just got a non vented infared heater. 1\2 the price. Works great. If putting in wood burner it's gonna be a little more work. I agree with the loft.

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 12:12 PM
onebuck95
onebuck95
MEMBER since 1/29/03
Perhaps your calling it a shed for building code reasons and for the no hassle of building a shed on a property. I agree to put some pitch in so you can have a sleeping loft to free up floor space. Menards sells a small wood stove for around $350.00. I personally would not build on skids. I would build the foundation very similar to a deck. roughly 20 inches off the ground for ventilation, treated 6x6's to the frost line, 2x10 for the frame, 2x6 for the floor joists. Lay your plywood and start building up.

Sounds fun good luck!

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 11:21 AM
buckmaster44
buckmaster44
USER since 12/5/15
When I refer to a "shed cabin" I am referring to utility wood sheds, not the tin sheds. If you are familiar with Premier sheds, I am modeling their lofted barn style shed.

Post Your Comment
12/6/15 @ 2:45 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Insulate it as good as you can. A smaller wood stove will heat it fine. Build it with enough roof pitch so you can have somewhat of a loft and a cathedral ceiling. Make sure you have a good foundation. I have pilasters and have replaced them after 6 yrs. Now we need to start replacing them cause they are still too small and are moving and off level again . I see people build their sheds/ pole barns and use them as a cabin. I would never do that. MAKE A CABIN!. not a shed. Lotsa windows. So many of these " cabins have just a few windows and it looks like a shed or pole barn and they are ugly and most likely very dark inside.

Post Your Comment