Rifles for kids

11/13/17 @ 7:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
kaptainkirk_24
kaptainkirk_24
USER since 6/21/07

I'm looking for recommendations for rifles for my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son. Since Governor Walker just signed the law eliminating the hunting age requirement I don't want my kids to miss their 1st opening day.  Need something with light recoil since the girl weighs about 40 pounds and the boy about 50.  Need something I can pick up around Green Bay this week. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts
10/3/18 @ 5:13 AM
redskin
redskin
USER since 1/28/02

I did something similar to Lakeshiner - I reload for rifle (former high power competitive shooter).  I bought both of my daughters .243's when they started hunting.  Began with light 55 gr bullets for targets and then went up to a light powder load with a 100 gr partition - plenty good enough for WI forest distances.  Both have a number of one shot kills to their credit.  Did the same with my son, but started him with a .308 - maybe a little sexist, but he was not as recoil sensitive as the girls.  But started with light bullets for targets and went up to 150 gr partitions - again with a light load.

Post Your Comment
10/2/18 @ 11:42 AM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01

When it comes time for a deer rifle, I HIGHLY recommend the Savage Axis.  bought my son his, chambered for .243, in '16 and he took 2 deer that year.  Had chances last year but passed, wanted a buck.

Great gun and affordable price too.  Only downside was the original scope was crap and we replaced it with a Bushnell Banner 3X9.  Well worth it.

Post Your Comment
10/1/18 @ 8:11 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Looks like fun.  I bought a Savage Rascal for my son as well.  I got the scope mount for it right away too and threw on an old scope.  Gun is so small the scope kind of looks funny but works well.  He shoots really good with it.  Been using the subsonic rounds since they are pretty quiet, doesn't annoy the neighbors.  

My wife has an older Browning Micro A-Bolt 7mm-08 that my son can shoulder perfectly fine as well now.  Its one of the smallest deer rifles I've seen or used in terms of the overall length.  My FIL being into reloading, came up with a reduced round that lessens the recoil but will still cleanly kill a deer.  Not going to buy a box of those at the store though either so you'd have to know someone who has all that equipment and really knows that sort of thing.

Edited on 10/1/18 8:16 PM
Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 2:06 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
USER since 3/30/18

Got another nice fox squirrel today. Her cousin got one too. This might be the best $150 I ever spent. The gun is so light she carried it the whole time we hunted.

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 5:20 AM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
USER since 3/30/18

Oh yeah didn't even complain about the skeeters. Headed back out today I'll let you know how do.

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 8:37 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Jigger

That's AWESOME!

Nothing better than taking a child in the outdoors. 

Hope she enjoyed the quality time. 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 5:35 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
USER since 3/30/18

Bought my 9yr old daughter a 22 savage rascal youth riffle. Went on our first squirrel hunt today. She ended up with a nice fox squirrel !! Grandpa only got a little gray. Awesome day in the woods!

Edited on 9/22/18 5:41 PM
Post Your Comment
11/21/17 @ 3:11 PM
Granpa
Granpa
USER since 2/4/05

I seriously hope Kaptain Kirk was just trolling on here. If not he better re-evaluate his parenting skills.

Post Your Comment
11/21/17 @ 2:39 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
USER since 6/15/15

This is an article that might help with the decisions for a young hunter getting started.  

http://www.centralwisconsinsports.net/2017/10/youth-hunt-experiment-reaps-rewards/

Post Your Comment
11/21/17 @ 1:36 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
Not offended at all. Has nothing to do with being easier just more responsible in my case. If someone does choose crossbow cause it is easier more power to them.  I've hunted with a compound bow for 26 years. Was in an archery league for 17 of them. My kids both have a compound will continue to use it but as time goes and days get busier like to allow them to have options. I know some long bow guys that called me a sally cause I used a compound so I'm used to being a Sally.  I don't feel any less proud when I shoot a nice deer with a rifle than I do with my compound. So why would it be any less satisfying with a crossbow?

Edited on 11/21/17 1:37 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts