No guide, no dogs, no problem

12/19/16 @ 9:00 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

This forum is for folks that are going to bait bear themselves, on their own, with no help from a  guide or hounds.

I'm sure their are hundreds of us in Wisconsin that do it successfully on our own each year.  Meant to be helpful spreading the word about tactics and equipment.

Ratoney 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
8/9/18 @ 7:04 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Just an FYI from the regulations: 

Additionally, no person may place, use, or hunt over bait that: • Contains or is contained within metal, paper, plastic, glass, wood, or other similar processed materials 

Won't be long now.  Good luck tag holders. 

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
7/24/18 @ 7:17 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Just wondering how many guys have started baiting?  

We don't typically bait until beginning of August.  We've just found we've had great success starting then but I am curious what others do.  

Keep in mind, if you haven't started yet, a suggestion would be using a lot of scent will help the bears find your site quicker.  

Good luck to everyone putting in the time and doing it themselves this Fall.  

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 9:18 AM
Buzzbear
Buzzbear
USER since 2/6/18

My wife and i are fortunate to own a cabin in Douglas Co.  I harvested a 165 lb (dressed) in 2011.  My wife filled her tag in 2013.  148 lb (dressed)  I know these are accurate wts. because the taxidermist had a scale.  No apology for shooting a small bear here.  Both had a white blaze on their chest... self guided... on our own property.  

Post Your Comment
12/27/17 @ 8:36 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Something I've found that can work and save some on bait costs.  Go to your local movie theatre and ask for their old popcorn.   It'll help extend your bait and save you a few bucks.  

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 8:27 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Just something to consider, and it'll help some understand why I don't think outfitters should be allowed to operate on public ground.  

In most units, guys wait for years to draw a permit.  So when they do draw, they hunt one year and are done.  But in the case of outfitters, they profit by having guys hunt "their" PUBLIC spots every year.  And any one that thinks the outfitters will give up a spot when they see another bait is fooling themselves.    

Money makes people do stupid things, including messing with others set-ups.  Many of these outfitters make thousands of dollars and anything that puts that at risk is cutting into their profits. 

Plus, outfitters make more on the more bait sites they have, again increasing competition for the public ground.  As you can imagine, I am strongly against outfitters using public ground, in Wisconsin and any other state.  

I am not saying guiding shouldn't be allowed on private.  The landowner is paying the taxes, let them make the decision but on public ground, keep it for the guy willing to do the work himself.  

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
1/24/17 @ 8:43 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Hard to play the wind with bears.  They are not walking a trail, they are coming to a designated point and they know all about it.  Bigger ones especially will circle the bait before committing and you won't even know they are there.  Last year I heard mine walking in water, but if not for the water I'd have had no idea it was circling me.  They are scent checking for both you and bigger bears.  I personally think trying to be scent free to a point is, well pointless.  Can debate that forever but their nose is there best defense.  I go with overwhelming them with scent.  Whatever scent I'm putting by my bait, I put some in the tree where i'm sitting.  Let that blend in with my own scent to help mask it.  In that regard if you do something like that with a thermacell it might be fine.  Little bears probably won't care, they are like little bucks...dumb.

Even when you do all that they may very well smell you yet, its just a matter of if they accept it or not.  I think they get accustomed to a little from just a guy baiting in the first place.  My opinion anyways, I'm sure that may vary person to person.

I even heard of guys wearing Off when baiting so that the bears get used to the smell.  I did not try that though, not sure about it.  They have that 'scent free' spray but I can smell it so I'm sure animals can really smell it.

Edited on 1/24/17 8:46 AM
Post Your Comment
1/24/17 @ 8:22 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

I do not bow hunt in September without my Thermacell. Rule #1 of hunting... hunt the wind and it doesnt matter what your wearing.

I have been told a friend of a friend has killed several P&Y bucks wearing his dirty oily, greasy work boots. But the guy isnt dumb. Has a great entry and exit and only hunts when the wind lets him.

Post Your Comment
1/23/17 @ 5:03 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

I know people use them while bowhunting deer. Can't imagine why they would cause any issues while sitting over a bear bait.

Post Your Comment
1/23/17 @ 9:02 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Curious if anyone has any feelings on using a thermacell in the tree while sitting a bait?  I've personally heard of a few guys having good luck while sitting with them.

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
12/28/16 @ 12:06 AM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06

We have shot many bear over the years baiting ourselves. My first advice is take your tag when bait hunters are first and find a baiting spot close to swamps and close to town or a lot of private land. That is to get away from the bear hounds, I know a few people on here will say hounds will not make a difference but that is BS. We have baited both back in the National Forest and close to private land and the bears sightings close to private is way more and bigger bear then back in the National Forest. We never start baiting till end of July and bait once a week till a couple weeks before season then bait twice a week. We have not had a permit in a few years but should get one again year after next. I could not believe how many bait sites just 50 yds off the road we found this year where we had baited on public land in the past. I assume these are all hound hunters so we know to stay clear of them. We will bait a couple sites next year just to make sure there is not to much interference from others so we will know for year after next. Granola, fruit toppings,cream cheese, and some clean deep fryer grease and the bear will be coming. Have the guy with the tag walk in with the baiters first day, hunter goes into his stand baiters dump out the bait and bag the buckets a few times. Sometimes before the guys get back to the truck the bear are out into the bait. Sometimes it is hard to judge their size so another trick we use is put some sticks in the ground that stick out of the ground 3 ft. They say a bear's who's back is 3 ft high at the shoulder is close to 300lbs. Also lay out some logs about 5 ft long to judge their length, we have done this and have had good luck not shooting anything under 250 dressed.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts