Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 2,571 Posts
9/19/18 @ 4:37 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Im guessing all you that are now spouting off at what I bill my labor out at. Have never hired a plumber, electrician, general contractor. Or even taken a vehicle in for repair. Don't pay for your passion, or hobbies.  Must be great to live like that. Hell, I pay even more to cat hunt. Only take 2 people out a year. But chase them around over 100 days a year.

Enough of biting into your negativity.  I got dogs to load, and bears to chase. After which will put 2 hunters on stand. Then while waiting for them to shoot. Will be on 2 different job sites. Got 8 that need to be done yet this month. Which is 2 months of work for me. Guess that is why I have had  to hire 3 people now this month. The lowest paid has zero job skills, and is getting paid $15 an hour!!

Here is something for you to enjoy. A bear that wont be shot this year!!

https://youtu.be/mq4smvEB6F4

Post Your Comment
9/18/18 @ 8:00 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

$75/hr = about $150,000/yr 

just sayin’

Post Your Comment
9/18/18 @ 3:05 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Steve, if you are spending 23K to make 12K, you need to change your business tactics or get out of the business especially if you can go out and make $75 per hour doing something else. There is a saying out there about new businesses , if you are not making money after a few years, it's a hobby.

Post Your Comment
9/18/18 @ 12:02 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

2 hunters just left for their stands with high hopes for today's sit.  If nothing else will certainly be an enjoyable sit with this weather. 56 degrees, and overcast is awesome!!!

Actually got a morning run in again. 3 of the hound baits got hit with 4 bear. First bait checked was a real surprise. Not hit since the day before season!! Unfortunate is was that mean old sob GROWLY!!! Move along nothing to see here!!  Then had about a 175-200 pounder, and a 125-150.  Other bait had a big bear I have never seen before. A big white circle on it's chest was easy to know it was new to the area. Had to try that one. Thought where it might have come from, and sure enough it went back. So we tried the other one. Got it going , but it was just sloppy all around. Dogs seemed to have lost their minds today. Ended up loosing it.

Big Momma did an about face. Going back to the 9-930 time slot. Guess she knew a hunter was there!! Maybe this afternoon??!!

Had another beast of a bear show up on another bait as well. Never seen this one either, and just a pig!!! 

My hopes the wolf family had moved on was completely smashed!!  The whole family made it's way through 5 of the 7 baits in that area.  The bear we call Lil' sh*t was not around either. Hope they didnt get him!!  Oddly some of these baits had as many as 5 different bear hit them. Naughty boy seems to have found another yearling friend. They have been together the last 2 days.  Safety in numbers perhaps.

Baits really picked up at 14/18 with 7 day hits.  6/18 with 3 the day before. Hoping this trend continues!!!

Pics are Growly, the new one with the white spot, and the beast in that order.

Post Your Comment
9/18/18 @ 8:56 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Gotacarp

Steve NEVER mentions names! We all vent a little,  we give opinions,  input,  what's proper behavior,  norms, do's  & don'ts, etc.

Several of Steve's posts mentioned that he gave specific instructions to his clients & they didn't follow his instructions. 

I tip when I have a good restaurant meal/experience. Tip based on experience. But always tip, and treat people with respect. 

If you read all of Steve's post, you would of noticed he was very bothered by the lack of respect & hand shake issue.

Have you ever worked in any service position(waiting tables,  retail store, mechanic,  etc.)?

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
9/18/18 @ 7:36 AM
gotacarp
gotacarp
USER since 2/2/10
wow is all I can say about a guide that talks this way about his clients! idk you steve and I would never hunt with you just from hearing the way you bash your clients. some guys don't know what their doing when it comes to hunting. that's why we teach them not bash them. heres a tip for you keep talking bad about clients and see how many come back  

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 8:00 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Sorry I had to vent a little.  Yet thank you all for your kind words of support.  I really dont care about tips.  The disrespect, and having to force a hand shake from you is just a slap in the face!! Let's get back to better stuff!!

Today again the only baits I will run dogs off due to wolves were completely empty. Which normally happens the duck wars start!!  Might be safe to hunt the others now. Not seen the adults in about a week. A lone pup left behind gone for 3 days. Still a bit unnerving!!

Today 8 of the 18 left were hit. 5 during the daylight. Nothing huge again.  Now here it gets funny. I moved one hunter his bait not hit in 3 days. To the hottest bait.  Gave him 3 parking options. the closest being about 150 yds!!  He decides to pull up and park where I do when baiting. A mere 20yds from the stand!!!  Conservatively 30% of the bear come from that way. Or, go out that way!  Now I can just see a bear coming in. Saying hey Bob, look at this dumass parking right here. Should we climb on his truck, or just leave?  Yeah, he seen nothing yesterday, or today. 

The bear that has been named little shit. Found the other baits starting 3 miles away. Hitting 3 of them, Trying hard to get in only successfully on 2. No doubt he is an orphaned cub!!  Sadly, I know where mom was shot, and nothing can be done about it. So I will try to make it easier for him to survive legally. 

Now Big Momma.  Well, when I can smell you in the truck your already done. When you wear an almost fully gray t-shirt. Your going to get seen. You already know that guy seen nothing. Now see the picture that is priceless!! Coming in well after dark. The first pic I get is her staring at the stand!!  BUSTED!!! Now what do I do with that bait. Just put another hunter in with pipe dreams. Stand locations are limited. My job only has gotten harder. I can beat her, but getting my hunters to do so. Is a whole lot harder!!

The morning brings another chapter in the 2018 book. Looking forward to how it will be written. Only one hunter right now. Another coming back in the afternoon. Then another secret weapon is coming in as well.  Has close to a decade of knowledge as a guide, but more importantly will be a big help to us overall.  The young pup will surely learn some things. Perhaps this old dog might learn something as well!!

2 pics are of Big Momma!! The first says it all!!

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 4:04 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Steve,

Sorry to here you had this bad experience.  I'm sure it wasn't the first, and it probably will not be the last...(Unfortunately) 

Most of us who follow your posts have gained a multitude of information about bears and bear hunting.  I think I can speak for all of us... THANK YOU for sharing your experience and knowledge.  Those of us who have gone through the work of a self guided hunt understand the blood, sweat, tears, and $$$ involved.  I can't imagine being a guide...  multiply trying to fill one or two tags by, what?... ten or twenty????  Being retired, i have often thought of getting a guide license.  Then the reality sets in.  All the costs would be prohibitive.  Bait, gas, license, insurance, advertising... etc.  Your time, experience, knowledge.... is priceless.  And oh.... I forgot the cost of your help, especially the boss. (Your wife)  I'm starting to ramble, but just wanted to let you know I have the unmost respect for what you do as a guide.  Hope you don't have to be subjected to that kind of disrespect and being stiffed on tips again any time soon.

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 5:53 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

As a guide you know everything you did and the work you put in. Could never guide myself as I am not a people person what so ever. I'm sure when everyone is sucessfull it's a easy job. That's not gonna happen with bear hunting. Dealing with all kinds of people and expectations you are gonna get different reactions.Doing the job you do, you surely have seen all kinds of reactions. If you do your job, what you would want someone do do for you than that's all you can do. Being pissed off just takes away from the good stuff. Let it go and enjoy the next day in the field.

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 12:02 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Steve,  please,  don't lose faith in all your clients & outdoorsman. 

I would think the majority of bear hunters would understand the costs,  efforts,  and time to have a successful outfitter business. 

Sure, the cost of a hunt seems big, for using public land. But its public. Which also means alot of efforts to place stands, baits, etc .

Treat your guides, cooks, & other helpers with the same respect you would appreciate doing your jobs.

Enjoy your posts, pictures,  and knowledge. 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 2,571 Posts