Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,582 Posts
9/23/18 @ 6:30 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
USER since 3/27/02

Thanks guys, I live in Johnson Creek and been doing a lot of driving and a lot of sitting. He was the first day light sighting in over 9 days. I had over 47 hours in the blinds

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 5:05 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Congratulations Daleracefan! Nice bear...  pays to be patient, a quality I don't always have...  lol

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 5:00 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Awesome Dale!

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 3:42 PM
deerhunter34
deerhunter34
USER since 10/8/01

Way to go daleracefan!!!   A trophy!!  Congratulations and job well done.  So awesome to see folks successful.  Thanks for posting.  

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 3:29 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Nice job! Enjoy the meat. It's delicious. 

Tim 

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 3:07 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
USER since 3/27/02

Finally !! Friday night this guy came in to the bait at 6:25. Forest county, West of long lake.

Edited on 9/23/18 3:09 PM
Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 8:28 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Eventually wouldnt bother the bear at all. Just becoming part of the landscape!

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 8:22 AM
cwhunter
cwhunter
USER since 9/8/15

Show me, I know of a guide in Minn. that Builds a blind on top of a pallet. So its big enough for one person. Pretty much built all out of pallets. One shooting spot facing the bait. Every year staples new brush on the outside for camo. Small enough to be moved with an atv. Works for him fine.

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 2:52 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Steve,

Sorry to hear the idiots are at it again.  Harmless pranks are one thing, but to put someone's life at risk is totally another level of dangerous, disrespectfull, and illegal behavior.

One long question for you.  I have two established bait stations on my 13 acre property.  I know.... too close!  I am surprised however How many time I see different bear... the same night.  My question is: I am strongly considering removing the ladder stands and replacing them woth home made shooting shacks.  Your opinion?  Do you think this would substantially curtail the bear activity I have had in the past, or will they get used to them after a while and return.  I have had a few big bear hit these stations in the past.  More this year than ever before. However, because they are fairly close to our cabin and other houses, we normally only see young bears and sows.  This is the first year I have scouted the county Forrest land bordering out property.  It was very interesting.  The first effort was crazy.  Set up a camera...  sprinkled a lot of "Cherry Burst powder" scent made by Northwoods Bear Products....  went back the next day to check the camera.  I could not believe what we saw.  A bear... well over 200#  not only stopped to check it out, he layed down and slept there all.night.  Anyhow, what is your thought of building a shooting shack or two on my property.  It would certainly make a hunt more comfortable for my elderly family and friends.  TIA

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 7:37 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Cool temps  seems to have helped the baits some. However, I feel that the lack of food in the forest has nothing to do with it. About 15 miles I have put on in the bush over the last 3 days. Finding nothing but grasses out there. Barely any mushrooms of any kind either.

Big Momma I believe is now safe for the year. Doubt I will have another hunter sitting in that spot this year. The last hunter was 3 nights ago. She came in at 9:20 that night.  The last 2 nights she has been in at 7. Smart old girl!!

Do have one hunter coming back Oct 4th-9th. Might sit that last day, but of course the rest will be with the dogs.

Jackwagons have started to play again. While baiting yesterday the girls found a couple of metal objects buried in the bait trail. I had to go back out with the law to investigate. The objects were of no serious threat to humans, but surely could have hurt a dog.  A sad life you must live. To have the time to play these games.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,582 Posts