Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,571 Posts
9/21/18 @ 7:02 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I have not contacted them yet , wanted to know about what to do for tag .

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 6:43 PM
beachcomber II
beachcomber II
USER since 12/7/13

the farmer i hunt by gets one pretty much every year. some years dnr tries trap first depending on damage. someone in family usually fills tag.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 2:51 PM
NCOutfitters
NCOutfitters
USER since 2/22/15
It can be handed to you, but I'm pretty sure it has to be used on the farm it was assigned to.  

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 7:23 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Hi Steve

I found a damage permit in the area .  Can it just be handed to me or would I still have to go through the permit drawing ?   I would not think so  ? How could a farmer plan that many years ahead ?

Thanks 

OSOK 

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 4:31 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Yes acorns, and all mast crops will pull bear. Which is what is the biggest problem in zone c with corn!!  The reason only a few come back is hibernation.  Even if it is what we think is warm. Mother nature says its nap time. Weather like we have now. Rain, and cool temps scares me.  This is going to make the mushrooms pop.  Which some are used along with grasses to help form the plug. Once they start forming that plug its over.

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 4:03 PM
classicrtv10
classicrtv10
USER since 1/10/08

Thank's Steve for the info on the rain.That's kinda what i thought. Season is to short to be sitting in the house waiting for the rain to stop.Also i hear people say cut back on how much bait to put out when season starts what do you suggest and do acorn's really pull the bears of the bait?I have number's of bears eating my bait at all different times threw out the day untill season starts then they vanish for a couple weeks but then only a couple come back.Thanks for the great info if i ever get a tag for A i will give you a call.

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 3:18 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Classic- Yes they will at times. Perhaps not the safest thing to do in the rain if sitting. Can make tracking a real nightmare.

I made the mistake of not going out back in 2010 when my daughter had her tag. We wanted to get after Bowtie, or Blackie. 2 monster bear pushing 500lbs, or more. We got 7" of rain in 24hrs.  I decided not to go out that morning. Both of those bears hit the same bait an hour apart. I would have had a 1hr old track to work with. Now I dont care if tornados are swirling in a blizzard. I load up!!

One shot- Yes it varies greatly. This year it took 8 in A, 11 in B, 1 in C, 5 in D. Yes crop damage is a possibility.  However if those types of tags are issued. They go to the farmer. Got to know someone to get one of those tags!!

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 2:33 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Does it take a greater amount of points for the different zones  ? And if you are willing to go after crop damage bears does that help at all ?   Enough of assorted bee hives have been getting hit that I know of in central Wisconsin  .

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 11:00 AM
classicrtv10
classicrtv10
USER since 1/10/08

Hi Steve hope you don't mind me asking but do bear's move in the rain?

Post Your Comment
9/19/18 @ 3:53 PM
classicrtv10
classicrtv10
USER since 1/10/08

Steve i would like to say there are ton's of unappreciative people in the world and i believe they need to get jacked up.You did the right thing by not naming the jerk and I totally know were you are coming from. So keep up the great post's i need all the bear tips i can get.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 2,571 Posts