Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,549 Posts
9/24/18 @ 7:05 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Sorry guys, but I got to chuckle a bit. With a sharp knife, and I carry a sharpener with me. Field dressing a bear is just as easy as a deer.  Want to be a bit scared. Let my daughter do it!! Twice as fast as I am!! I prefer you struggle through it though. It's part of the whole experience.

Most of our baits are still getting smashed. One string though is still struggling. Have no idea why. There is no food out there, like I said.

Still no hunters yet until the 4th. 10 stands sitting empty. That I am dreading pulling out.

With no food in the forest. Some real toads are showing up now.  Really ticks me off not being able to hunt them with the wolves in those areas. No guys to run the dogs anyway. So its just bittersweet all around!! Yet will continue the full time job of running the baits daily until the last day. For the next week I got a big job to finish. the wife and I will split the baits, after working 8-10hrs or more. Run, the dogs the last week. Before we go to MI for the last couple weeks.

Big Momma is just bragging now. She knows she has outsmarted the hunters again.  Spitting in my face so to speak.  Hitting the bait 2-3 times a day, and for the last 2 nights by 6pm. Think she knows she is now safe for the year. I will keep feeding her though.

Changed the camera over to video of her.

https://youtu.be/tcEa_rtJKdg

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 6:36 PM
BrewCrew4Ever
BrewCrew4Ever
USER since 10/27/09

I am surprised more people don't have heart attacks hauling out bears. Tough hides, tough diaphrams and they are like big piles of jello. I've hauled one out on an old, military stretcher and that made it easier but not easy at all. Hoping to haul mine out in the next two weeks. Zone C has been a crap shoot. I am down to two baits and they both are getting hit sporadically. I literally have seen bears walk within 50 yards of one of my baits and not go to it. Strange year.

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 2:11 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01

Yes I would agree the dressing itself is much like any other animal but the handling sucks. Have some parachute cord or rope to help hold the leg or legs out the way. I found the hide to be terribly tough with a sharp knife. Disphragm was definately tougher. Then get ready to be hung up on every stivck,root,rock or whole you come across. Have a tarp or sled of some kind to help it slide and protect the hide but I have taken lots of deer a couple elk and my bear was way more work.

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 7:56 AM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

cwhunter,

That sounds like a good and economical way to put a blind together.  I have a bunch of telephone poles, cut to about 12'.  I plan to use these to elevate a platform, then build a shooting shack on the platform.  i also have about 30 sheets of steel roofing... cut to 12'.  Thinking of something in the neighborhood of 5x5. I would like to have it big enough for two people to sit quietly and comfortably.  There are some nice plans for all sizes of shacks to be found by searching on the internet.  Cost of materials is one consideration, so once the platform is constructed,  I may go with pallets or even just a foldup turkey blind.

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 7:32 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

If you have done a deer, you can do a bear,moose, elk, etc pretty much the same process.

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 7:30 AM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

One shot one kill:

I am by no means an expert on field dressing a bear, but I have dressed out two myself... helped with three or four more.  I would say that there is no difference in the procedure of field dressing a bear vs a deer.  You will find the diaphragm in a bear is much more difficult to remove.  It is thicker, stronger, almost like leather. I use a Wyoming knife to cut it out. The diaphragm in a deer can be removed by pulling with your hands.  This has been my experience.  What do some of the rest of you guys think?

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 10:08 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Possibly a fool question  , is dressing a bear much different than a deer  ?   

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 7:30 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
USER since 3/27/02

Thanks guys, I live in Johnson Creek and been doing a lot of driving and a lot of sitting. He was the first day light sighting in over 9 days. I had over 47 hours in the blinds

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 6:05 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Congratulations Daleracefan! Nice bear...  pays to be patient, a quality I don't always have...  lol

Post Your Comment
9/23/18 @ 6:00 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Awesome Dale!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,549 Posts