Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,558 Posts
9/25/18 @ 11:44 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

My guess is 20 gauge over .22

Either way,  great bear!

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 10:16 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Perch , what's your weapon  ?  Savage (?)  12 gauge and .270 ??

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 8:28 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01

Show me Thanks.

I am getting a rug and a skull mount. I set my stand bait site where I could get my atv in but even though he only went 25 yards after the shot I had to chainsaw my way in and use the winch on the wheeler to move him the first 10 yards. Then with him wrapped in a deer sleigher and a tow rope wrapped around his shoulders my wife driving the atv and me pulling on the rope to get him unstuck every 5 yards we had him back to camp two hours after I shot. Definitely properly described as jello. 520#

Edited on 9/25/18 8:30 PM
Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 4:52 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Lakeshiner, I dont get it. Why cant one have bears all over the place. Always another room in the house. Bathroom probably not a good idea though. Unless.... LOL   Think of it as an investment. There is very little depreciation on the mounts. Check prices you will see that. Unless you got bent over by a taxidermist. Like a buddy of mine last year. $2500 for a half mount.  Are you kidding me!! Showed him my bill for 3. 2 half mounts, and a rug. 1900.  $650 for a half mount! Quality work as well.  My neighbor sell mounts for a living. Most bear half mounts are around 1k. 

However, I have seen people do about everything you will see with any other fur. Friend of mine has a full length winter coat made of bear hide. Wears it while Ice fishing.  Almost every time out ask him . How fast can you run, and climb a tree? LOL  I wouldn't mind having a bear hat. But, it would probably end up getting me bit around this place.  Hell, I cant even have a rabbit hat around here. Damm dogs!!

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 4:02 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

There is an interesting article about the predation of bears by wolves at this site:

bucksbullsbears.com

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 9:39 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Speaking of mounts, what do guys all do with bears?  That mostly comes from if you shoot a few and have a few mounts, there gets a point where you don't really need another mount or rug.  Honestly 1 rug and one 3/4 type mount is all I'd ever want.  I kept the skulls but what other options are there for the hide?  I know some who just sell them to a taxidermist I believe.  Was thinking a bearskin blanket or just tan it to hang up on a post.  Not quite like deer where you can just take antlers for a smaller plaque.

I have my wife that will be going next, followed by me and then our kids will be of age.  I can't have bears all over the place so just thinking of ideas for the future.

Edited on 9/25/18 9:41 AM
Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 8:43 AM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Percheye1,

I wanted to respond to your massage here because I can post a picture here.  Again, congratulations on your bear.  That is a once in a lifetime trophy!!!  Full body mount, rug, head mount?  i have a friend who shot a 500#+ bear about 15 years ago.  Most memorable part of the hunt was the recovery.  We were not prepared to move 500# of jello...  lol  Another friend shot this 332# bear a couple years ago.  Here is a photo of his mount.

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 7:17 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

I have mentioned the use of Ozonics, but nobody has ever used it for bear.

Had a guy out hunting a decent buck last night. Got to see one of the bigger ones. No good shot opportunity though. Ozonics came up again. Although I dont think scent had anything to do with it. Had 4 does all around him as well that didn't spook. Just the way the buck moved last night.

Post Your Comment
9/25/18 @ 5:51 AM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
USER since 2/8/06

Anyone ever tried using ozonics on big momma Steve?or other hunts for that matter?

Post Your Comment
9/24/18 @ 7:05 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Sorry guys, but I got to chuckle a bit. With a sharp knife, and I carry a sharpener with me. Field dressing a bear is just as easy as a deer.  Want to be a bit scared. Let my daughter do it!! Twice as fast as I am!! I prefer you struggle through it though. It's part of the whole experience.

Most of our baits are still getting smashed. One string though is still struggling. Have no idea why. There is no food out there, like I said.

Still no hunters yet until the 4th. 10 stands sitting empty. That I am dreading pulling out.

With no food in the forest. Some real toads are showing up now.  Really ticks me off not being able to hunt them with the wolves in those areas. No guys to run the dogs anyway. So its just bittersweet all around!! Yet will continue the full time job of running the baits daily until the last day. For the next week I got a big job to finish. the wife and I will split the baits, after working 8-10hrs or more. Run, the dogs the last week. Before we go to MI for the last couple weeks.

Big Momma is just bragging now. She knows she has outsmarted the hunters again.  Spitting in my face so to speak.  Hitting the bait 2-3 times a day, and for the last 2 nights by 6pm. Think she knows she is now safe for the year. I will keep feeding her though.

Changed the camera over to video of her.

https://youtu.be/tcEa_rtJKdg

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,558 Posts