Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,423 Posts
TODAY @ 3:32 PM
shedhunter
shedhunter
USER since 1/28/08

Have seen an uprise in Morning hits the past few weeks as well, so theres a good chance you were near crossing paths with the bear.  Only thing i can think is that it has been the coolest time of the day early in the a.m with all the heat we been having.  Hope it keeps up!

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 1:52 PM
BrewCrew4Ever
BrewCrew4Ever
USER since 10/27/09

For the last two days my newest bait sites have been getting pounded (cleaned out everyday). I still haven't put out cameras but will this week. I have some better quality bait (granola) but is it better to stick with the popcorn/candy that drew the hits?

This morning I had a very uneasy feeling while rebaiting (like I was being watched). The "bear smell" was still in the air. Nothing more exciting than when a bait gets active.

Post Your Comment
8/18/18 @ 9:02 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

This is a new one...

Looks to be a little better than what we have been seeing for a few weeks.

There still might be hope for my grandson to harvest a decent bear this year!!!

Post Your Comment
8/18/18 @ 10:43 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Pictures from past week. Still coming at good times.

Edited on 8/18/18 10:58 AM
Post Your Comment
8/17/18 @ 8:01 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Those seem like decent bears.  Maybe not huge, but decent.  I know the main thing I hear guys say is that they don't want to shoot a 100 pounder.  Don't have to worry about that with those I don't think.

Here is our friendly neighborhood wolf guarding one of our baits and growling at something. He hangs out there a lot and we've jumped him walking in.

Thought the bear was kind of cool looking, calling him Mohawk.  He's not real consistent though.

Post Your Comment
8/16/18 @ 2:41 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Yup,       Shooting weight

Edited on 8/16/18 2:42 PM
Post Your Comment
8/16/18 @ 11:45 AM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
USER since 2/8/06

Any guesses on weights?

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 9:23 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

County line...

Unfortunately my grandson will only be able to hunt Sept 6 through the ninth or tenth.  We travel 330 miles to get to our cabin.  He is 13 yo and can only afford to miss school for these days.  It is just too far to travel for a one day weekend hunt.  While I agree patients is a virtue... if we are not getting any big bears on the trail cams just before the opening day, he may have to decide to shoot a smaller but legal bear... or eat his tag.  :-(    kinda sucks considering we know there are two or three really nice bear in the area.  I still have a couple of tricks to try, but at this point I am pretty pessimistic.  Best wishes to all with tags this year!

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 1:11 PM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Some pics from my nephew's bait.

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 9:20 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Ran my dad's baits this past weekend.  Only 1 of 3 cameras worked.  One had a damaged SD card and the other I have no idea, its one of my best cameras.  Seemed to be fine when I reset it.  Kind of disappointing when you want to see what's coming in, but all 3 baits were wiped out anyways.

The one camera had a frequent wolf and 2 bears (1 shooter, 1 small).  Wolf was there a lot, think he was eating the bait up after it was opened.

Edited on 8/15/18 7:28 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,423 Posts