Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,582 Posts
12/30/18 @ 5:12 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

I was told by a DNR person quite some time ago that the tooth aging thing involves a chemical process which why it takes awhile.

Tim 

Post Your Comment
12/30/18 @ 1:47 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04
Just a little bit!

Post Your Comment
12/30/18 @ 6:09 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

Steve you a fan of "The Boys"? 

Edited on 12/30/18 6:14 AM
Post Your Comment
12/29/18 @ 8:26 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Here is a video example for you. I am 99.999999% sure one of these cubs was harvested in this year. YES!!! IT WAS LEGAL!!!   I measured it to be sure at 43"!!  It field dressed at 92lbs. I have the harvest pics, and shot video as well!!  I guarantee if I posted that. Asking a weight it would average 250lbs.  Yep, done it already!!   Not heard back from this hunter on the age. As if I really need to know !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA2pslY3pqM

Post Your Comment
12/29/18 @ 8:16 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

I have never been able to understand the age results.  Many stories of hung over college students just putting random numbers on things. Who really knows. 

One thing I do know is it is not rocket appliances!! If you dont know. It is the same thing as ageing a tree. Take a cross cut of the tooth, er , tree. Then count the rings you see.  YES!! It's that freaking simple!!  So why all the BS numbers!!  Guessing a tootsie pop thing?

I know its a hair more complicated. Smaller saws, microscopes, and dye needed.  It's still simple! 

Which is also why there is no .75 on the age. The growth rings are annually generated.  I suppose one could automatically add that .75 with common sense.  Yet, is that what we really want college students to do, think?

This is what I know from watching then grow.  Very well fed 1st year cubs. Meaning born in the den, and still on mom when coming out. Can go up to 80-100lbs by fall.  Very well fed yearlings though. Are going to have a hard time reaching 125 on the hoof.  So again a 100lb harvested bear. After that it gets really tough. Even though well fed. Genetics start to play games. Then there is the hormones as they reach breeding age.  Again though 150-175 is going to be tops on the hoof. So again a 100lb bear dressed.   Its all guessing after that.  For example, Growly. A bear you have all heard me talk about.  The last time we treed him, I believe he was 6 or 7. Would have to look back at things to be sure. In any case looking at him back then. I was guessing maybe 300, but 275 was more realistic! That day might have been the last chance to take him out.  At least with the dogs.  This year at 10, or 11. I would not put him at over 350. Probably closer to 325 dressed. However, his head is much larger than a far older bear named GT. Who has been an easy 500lbs since Growly was 3 or 4. 

Now if someone shoots Big Momma. Im going to take the opposite tooth.  Either buy the proper saw, find someone to cut it, or hire an outside firm. To get a correct age result. Hell, Growly, and GT for that matter. I know how hold Growly is. GT have no clue. Big Momma I'd say at least 20!

I don't work for the WI DNR. I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night though!

Post Your Comment
12/29/18 @ 11:51 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

countyline, I shot one about 10 years ago a sow aged 3.75 on the card not sure if they still do it that way?

EDIT: Found and scanned my old DNR card, not sure what they look like now.......

Edited on 12/29/18 12:06 PM
Post Your Comment
12/29/18 @ 11:45 AM
countyline
countyline
USER since 1/2/13

Shouldn't the age cards have .75 after the year. Bears are not born in sept?

Bears shold be like 3.75 yrs of age, 2.75, 1.75, etc....... 

Post Your Comment
12/28/18 @ 11:52 AM
Coolhog
Coolhog
USER since 10/7/18

Buddy shot a 524lber......said it was a yr old.......yah right

Post Your Comment
12/25/18 @ 8:48 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

They  dont know how to age a bear. I shot one in 1999 , It was 224 gutted, 6'6" and said it was 2 yrs old. My sone shot one , a female that was 206LBS , they said it was 6 yrs old, and that is more realistic.

Post Your Comment
12/24/18 @ 11:42 AM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Team Blue Gill that weight sounds a little heavy for a 1 year old bear. I had 5 family members that got bears in 2017 and I think most of them were not correctly aged.

191 pound sow   3 years old

278 pound boar  3 years old

245 pound sow   3 years old

130 pound boar  2 years old

151 pound boar   1 year old

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,582 Posts