Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,334 Posts
7/14/18 @ 6:22 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
USER since 3/27/02

Just started my bait 2 days before these pics. My wife passed him 2 years ago, I don’t think I will this year 

Post Your Comment
7/14/18 @ 11:44 AM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Most recent trail cam photo of one of the two or three nice bears still coming in to our baits.

We are baiting two spots, both within a couple hundred yards of our cabin.  I know the bait stations should be farther apart, but we only have 13 acres.  We really try to fill our tag on our own property.  So far we are two for two.  Both on opening day.  2011 & 2013.  Grandson has a tag for 2018.  Hopefully he will make it 3 for 3!!!

Opps,  I forgot that my step-son had a tag a couple years ago.  He ended up eating that tag because he set his sights on a 300# plus bear.  Half of his hunting time was spent around Barnes, WI, the other half was spent at our cabin.  He passed several opportunities at 150-250 lb bear...  so I guess we are two for three.  Hope to be three for four this fall.

Edited on 7/14/18 7:55 PM
Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 11:36 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Showme, that was well said. There will always be that debate. Heck some even call for no bait at all. That would be real tough for a sitter!! 

However, things have changed greatly over the years. With the technology we have now. It is much easier to keep our dogs off of private property. We try very hard to do so. Not everyone works as hard at. Still some old guys out there with bad attitudes. Hopefully they go away sooner, than later. In fact last year not once did we have a dog enter private. So far nothing again this year. Once last winter, but only because the guy called them onto it. Then chewed me out for it. Which that night he apologized for it. Even stopping by the next day with a gift of wine, and sausage. Cats run a creek/swamp at the bottom of a ridge 50yds off the back off his 40. Never do they go up on the high ground. Even that stretch is rare, but once in awhile they go that way.

I have made some great friends though from the rare times it happens. Have gotten permission now to hunt/retrieve some very large tracts of land as a result. Being Courteous, and apologetic goes a long ways.

Working together is always the best thing for everyone.

Post Your Comment
7/11/18 @ 9:21 AM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Steve,

I spent a little time going back and reading posts made over the last couple of years.

It seems there is a topic which pops up frequently.  I find people's opinion on this topic interesting.  I am speaking of the dogs vs. Bait sitters drama.

As a young man, I raised registered plott coon hounds.  I understand the great pride dog owners have in their dogs and the feeling of accomplishment when you have trained them properly.

Later in life, I married into a family who hunts over bait & is completely against the use of dogs. (Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard spot.)

I like your attitude that "to each his own"... there is no right or wrong way to do this bear hunting thing.  We need to all pull together... give and take.  There is enough space and bears for everyone who wants to work for them.  Whether it be with dogs or bait.  As long as you hunt legally and ethically, I support you.

There is one thing EVERYONE needs to understand about dogs and bears.  They can't read signs.  Bears being chased will go through private, posted, land.  Dogs will follow...  if this happens, and a dog owner asks permission to retrieve his dogs, please understand and allow them to do so.  You may even develop a new friendship.

Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 10:38 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Griff, guess I was mistaken. Let's just call it experienced then? I will never call myself an expert. I dont think anyone really can. Those that might are simply fools!! A bear does what it want to,when it wants to. You can pattern a deer very easily. You try to do that with an old bruiser of a bear. Well, you are only going to get the middle of the paw!!  I watched Bowtie die of old age! Blackie,  GT, Shortface, and dreadfully  " GROWLY", may also die of old age. OHH, almost forgot , " BIG MAMMA"!!!   All have which continue to hit the baits. Regardless of what I try to do for a sitter. Very few people are able to hunt these bears with the dogs. Refuse to put myself, or my dogs life on the line for such a thing. Which might require you to hoof it in a mile. Then put a bullet in th head of a 400+ lb bear at 3ft!! Literally the barrel in the ear!! I Have seen guys with far more experience than Griff. Puke after such things. With others finishing the job they started. 

BUT!!! Regardless of how hard I work for a sitter to take, "GROWLY" out this year. MAMMA IS PISSED OFF!!!  She will draw a tag next year!! Can guarantee she will put that barrel in the ear. That is if she dont beat him to death first!!

Guessing there is different types of experience that makes one more experienced. I'd rather have my wife, or daughter at my back than 99.9999% of the men that call them self hunters!!  Military folks certainly understand that!!

Edited on 7/11/18 7:50 AM
Post Your Comment
7/10/18 @ 5:14 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

That's FUNNY told you I had taken 10 bears, if that makes me a expert,then I guess I'm guilty.

Post Your Comment
7/9/18 @ 9:23 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01

What's your thoughts on the use of oil I've used it three tags I've had so far and I'm planning on use it again this year hasn't seemed to be a deterrent but spoke to a few people and they refused to use it, sounds like they didn't like to use it because it was a messy and that you had to make sure that it didn't go Rancid

Post Your Comment
7/9/18 @ 7:33 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Griff,  I guess you are better off asking the guy that hunts to the north of me that question. For 50 years been baiting with nothing but bread, and grease. For the 20 years I have known him. His baits always go dead come harvest season. Dont care, wont change, just complains. Refuses any help on top of it!! Has even chewed me out for tackling one of his dogs before crossing a highway in traffic. So you be the judge. Your an expert. At least that is what you told me!

Post Your Comment
7/9/18 @ 5:21 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

So, a guy should'nt use moldy bread that you can't hardly bang out of the bucket during the harvest season?????

Post Your Comment
7/8/18 @ 10:58 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Showme, Looking forward to it!!

Shed, I use a bunch of stuff I can get for the best price.  However, always try to do some sort of granola mix as harvest season approaches,and through it.  If I could afford to use nothing but sticky granola, that would be my choice!  Bears just love it!! Heavy, and hard to work with are a pain. The cost the can break the bank fast. Using 80-100 barrels a year. I try to keep it around $50 a barrel. Granola can almost double that. YIKES!!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,334 Posts