Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,571 Posts
11/13/18 @ 9:33 AM
Buzzbear
Buzzbear
USER since 2/6/18

I know this is not following the topic of this thread, but wanted to pass this on to LL friends.  My "handle" has changed from "Showmethemuskie", to Buzzbear...  this is about the only thread I post on, so anyone wanting to message me should see it.  Thanks

Post Your Comment
10/4/18 @ 7:56 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

One of the different things that I tried with my bear was to smoke the ribs. Used the same process and dry rub that I use on pork ribs and they turned out great..

As others mentioned the roasts are wonderful in the crock pot and the balance I ground into burger..

Post Your Comment
10/3/18 @ 8:04 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

I complete agree. I made some awesome roasts whennni the meat. Hard to top them.

Tim

Post Your Comment
10/3/18 @ 10:50 AM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Tim T,

Whenever I cook bear, i try to eliminate as much fat as possible.  This is true with all wild game.  Unless you like the wild taste, get rid of the fat. (Especially bear)  In my opinion, bear fat gives the meat a nasty, smelly odor and taste.  Eliminate it as much as possible and the lean meat is as good as any game meat. (Except elk... elk is top shelf)

Post Your Comment
10/3/18 @ 8:49 AM
Mt Dew
Mt Dew
USER since 6/23/01

Our family loves BEAR ROASTS

Post Your Comment
10/2/18 @ 9:06 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Sausage! Beef added as there is already enough fat in bear meat that pork isn't needed. 

Tim

Post Your Comment
10/2/18 @ 8:20 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Gobbler,

I have thought about adding a little pork or maybe beef tallow, but have never done so.  I use almost all of my bear meat as hamburger. Love it in chilli and BBQ.  The only time I use anything other than hamburger is for bear stew.  For this I use lean cubes of bear meat, cooked on low in a slow-cooker, with a couple beef broth cubes.  I cook potatoes, onions, carrots, and any other veggies to taste... in a Nesco.  After the meet is done (on low for 3-4 hours), I add it to the veggies.  Have never had any leftovers.

Post Your Comment
10/2/18 @ 7:19 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01

Do you guys add anything to your bear meat for hamburger like people do for deer

Post Your Comment
9/28/18 @ 8:12 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

Made a trip to the cabin today.  Got here at about 5:00pm.  Pulled the trail cams, which have been up since we left on September 6th.  We baited just before we left.  Nothing shootable during the day, but had several nice bear come after dark.  Have had a few new bear show up the last three days.  They were disappointed to find the empty bait stations.  Had pictures of a bobcat too.

Post Your Comment
9/26/18 @ 8:05 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

I don't want to turn this into the "Guns and Shooting" thread, but I really love Percheye1's photo of his gun along side of his bear.  That is a sweet gun! (and monster bear)  Anyone else interested in showing their weapon of choice for bear?  My wife and grandson used a .30-06 pump (round nose, 180gr) which was given to my wife by her father.  I used a .45-70 H&R single shot (flat nose, hard lead, 460gr)  I planned on using a 12ga, but the wife insisted I buy a new gun specifically for bear hunting.  Gotta love her!  I will post pictures of those guns if there seems to be an interest.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,571 Posts