Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,293 Posts
TODAY @ 11:54 AM
BrewCrew4Ever
BrewCrew4Ever
USER since 10/27/09

I set up a bear bait on private land last week. When I was leaving a truck stopped and asked if I was baiting.  I said no, just setting up. The guy said we bait near here, too and you should probably find a new spot because we've been baiting nearby for years. I went back to check the bait and get ready to dump bait this a.m. The smell of diesel fuel overwhelmed the site and it was obviously bombed. Should I give up the spot or catch them on camera? Will the spot be OK in a few weeks?

Post Your Comment
6/20/18 @ 9:28 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I used a picture of myself at each bait to judge size too when looking at my camera pictures. Same thing as a stick but I just had the pics of me walking past anyways.

My dad has a tag but we won't start baiting until the end of July.  Not an early person since we have to run a bit further than people who live right there.  That's about when I started the last time and it worked out pretty well.

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 9:11 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Couple of pictures from one of the baits my brother may hunt. He works part time at a bakery so he is getting his guide some really good bait.

Edited on 6/19/18 9:30 PM
Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 7:25 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

I will try to post a few trail camera pictures of some bears.

Hopefully you can give me some ideas of possible weights.

I know,  without markings on trees,  distance from cameras,  etc. can make it difficult. 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 7:16 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Thanks, but I dont think anyone can claim to be an expert on bear size. So many variables that come in to play with them. Some times get lucky and have a truck bumper to gauge the size by. Other times everyone gets fooled. Put out many times thinking a decent one. Only to find out different.  Has gone the other way a few times as well. Camera angles can really play games with our eyes. Even tracks can be misleading in soft soils. Standing 10yds or less from one though. You can surely tell the difference in a 100lbs vs 300 plus.

3 in my yard in 24 hrs last year. 2 got live FB feeds. First was a fairly friendly sow that got the most air time. About 125lbs. The second was a boar the short hairs had stopped on the ground. Easily 250. The 3rd was a mean sow that maybe was 175. As tall as the boar, just not as long. Made it up with attitude though.  Here is a link to the smaller sow.

https://www.facebook.com/108390272523061/videos/1729564197072319/

Post Your Comment
6/19/18 @ 6:00 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Steve, you're the expert on here about bears. 

So I bow out on guessing. 

I enjoy your input on anything to do with bear hunting. 

Keep the knowledge flowing. 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
6/18/18 @ 9:25 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

TT- is fairly accurate I would say. However none of those are over 200lbs!!  Cameras can be very misleading. From one manufaturer to the next. Even by model in the same manufacturer. Distance, and height of each playing a roll.   Look at the link I posted below. Then while there. Check out my other videos. You will find one that is of the same bears as the last link I posted. At a bait about 1.5 miles north. All of those this year cubs 80-100lbs. Mom about 150.  Yet some have told me 4 300lb bears at the bait all at one time!! 

In fact yesterday stopped by a friends house. They showed me a picture of a bear they said was at least 400lbs!!!  Right away I said closer to 100lbs!!!  The bear was in their driveway walking past their stock suburban with stock tires. It was not taller than the front bumper it was next to!!!!

I suggest measured sticks for height, and logs for length. This will give you a better guess on things. Like the video of the wolf on my youtube channel with a 42" stick!! 

Regardless it dont matter. Every legal bear is a trophy!!!  WI has some of the best bear hunting in the USA. Seems some of the smartest bear as well. Connecting on one is very hard for many to do. Even if a guide is putting you on a very active bait site. What you do makes the difference.

Post Your Comment
6/17/18 @ 12:22 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Stick

On the first picture,  I would say the boar,  on the left is at least 325#.

And I am NO EXPERT! 

Good luck with your bear hunting. Looks promising! 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
6/17/18 @ 8:29 AM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Sticksnstrings, bear are the hardest to judge size. The 1st pic is a sow and boar. The sow looks about 160 to 200. The boar looks about 200 to 250. The second pic is the sow. The last pic is what looks like the sow with last years cub. 100 to 125. It would be easier to judge size with knowing measurements of your bait stump.

Post Your Comment
6/16/18 @ 7:56 PM
StickNstring
StickNstring
USER since 6/23/08

Hey bear hunters,

I drew a tag for zone B and have these trail camera pictures. I would like to hear what you all feel the size of these are.

Thank you in advance.

~ StickNstring~

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,293 Posts