Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,266 Posts
TODAY @ 8:07 PM
Machickanee fisher
Machickanee fisher
MEMBER since 1/5/03
Got my 2017 bear back from the taxidermist today.

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 4:08 PM
musky2day
musky2day
USER since 8/25/11

I drew with 8 points in A. Excellent !!!

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 7:53 AM
Buzzbear
Buzzbear
USER since 2/6/18

Daughter had 7 points in zone D... She drew her tag and will transfer it to her 13 year old son.  We have a cabin in Douglas Co. with 13 acres... next to a vast amount of county forrest land.  I harvested a bear in 2011.  My wife filled her tag in 2013.  Neither of these two were braggers,  but you can not beat a successful - self guided hunt -on your own property.  I think i am more excited for Sept. 5th to get here than my grandson.  He loves to hunt.  He shot a 10pt buck last fall, but is worried about missing a football practice or game while bear hunting.  We have to travel 330 miles to get to the cabin, so he will have to miss about three days of school and sports.  It will be worth it for the memories he will gain!!!

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 8:50 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER since 1/11/05

Had 10 points for B and did not draw. Should be good to go in two years. 

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 4:32 PM
Lickey
Lickey
USER since 8/29/12

Had 8 points for zone A and drew!

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 2:23 PM
splitG2
splitG2
USER since 10/12/07
Had 7 pts for A. Did NOT draw. 

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 8:29 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Sarona, Sorry to hear of your dismay with the process. I understand your frustration, and that of others with the points system. May not be a perfect system, but it is there to help ensure the future of the sport. To help keep the quality of, and population numbers up.

The permit applicant info is out yet. So we can not just yet see what is going on.  There are some common misunderstandings, or mistakes with applicants in the system.

First the number of points you have, and that are needed in the zone. The points you have for the current year drawing. Are what is shown online after purchasing a point for the draw. Many people still feel that number is plus 1.  Which is not the case.  The number needed each year will always vary. That depends on the quota, permits to be issued, and then the applicants for a harvest permit in that year. 

Second the draw is not a lottery so to speak. Meaning all applicants do not have the same opportunity. They are awarded based on the number of points one has. Until you get down to the point where there are more point holders than permits left.  So if there are 100 tags. There are 80 people with 6 points or more Those people will get those first 80 tags. Now there are 100 people with 5 points for 20 tags. That is where the lottery part comes in. I do not know the process to choosing which of those 100 will get the 20 remaining tags. Nobody with 4 or less will get one.  So in this scenario, if someone says they drew with 4. When the applicant breakdown comes out. You will clearly see that was not true.

Lastly, folks sometimes make mistakes.  They may unknowingly not apply for a harvest permit. It does happen. Always a good idea to double check a week or two after your point purchase.  Some will decide to put in as a group. Members of the group of 3. Have 14, 10, and 5 points. Thinking they will all draw because of the member with 14. However, it goes by the one with the least amount of points. Happens every year!

I posted some time ago speculations on what was going to be needed. Hard to do without knowing the number of applicants in each zone.  With a decrease in tags for zone d. Things could change fast with more applicants having 5 or more points. If someone with 5 did draw. Then 5 was the lottery number. As I described above. Keep in mind that in 2017 only 22% of applicants with 4 points drew in D. With the decrease in tags that could be the same number for 5 this year.  Be interesting to see how the numbers panned out this year! 

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 6:39 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

I can already tell Im going to hate the Bear hunting process in Wisconsin. I decided 5 years ago I wanted to give bear hunting a shot. I have 5 points and no license. I know a guy with 4 points and he pulled a tag. Have another buddy that said it took him 9 years to pull his first tag in Zone D and he had buddies pulling them with 4 or 5 points.

Why the hell do they even make us get points if the people with the most points dont get all the tags? Isnt that the point of having a "points" system.  

Post Your Comment
2/5/18 @ 7:49 PM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07

10-4 bigwoods. I drew 4 zone A. Thanks

Post Your Comment
2/5/18 @ 7:20 PM
bigwoods
bigwoods
USER since 1/23/12

blackbird, look at current licenses