Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,416 Posts
8/14/18 @ 9:23 PM
showmethemuskie
showmethemuskie
USER since 5/4/06

County line...

Unfortunately my grandson will only be able to hunt Sept 6 through the ninth or tenth.  We travel 330 miles to get to our cabin.  He is 13 yo and can only afford to miss school for these days.  It is just too far to travel for a one day weekend hunt.  While I agree patients is a virtue... if we are not getting any big bears on the trail cams just before the opening day, he may have to decide to shoot a smaller but legal bear... or eat his tag.  :-(    kinda sucks considering we know there are two or three really nice bear in the area.  I still have a couple of tricks to try, but at this point I am pretty pessimistic.  Best wishes to all with tags this year!

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 1:11 PM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Some pics from my nephew's bait.

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 9:20 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Ran my dad's baits this past weekend.  Only 1 of 3 cameras worked.  One had a damaged SD card and the other I have no idea, its one of my best cameras.  Seemed to be fine when I reset it.  Kind of disappointing when you want to see what's coming in, but all 3 baits were wiped out anyways.

The one camera had a frequent wolf and 2 bears (1 shooter, 1 small).  Wolf was there a lot, think he was eating the bait up after it was opened.

Edited on 8/15/18 7:28 PM
Post Your Comment
8/11/18 @ 10:35 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Awesome day on the stand! Switched out my SD cards on the land, and decided to sit also. Was in my stand around 5:30pm. Half hour a doe and dawn show up. Cool. Than I hear it! Knew it was either a trespasser or a bear.

Yeah! A nice young boar ( I'm guessing). Got some nice pictures & videos. 

Good luck to all that have kill tags! Be safe. 

Big Mac

Post Your Comment
8/11/18 @ 1:40 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Pictures from this past week. Accurate times too. Hope it keeps up.

Edited on 8/11/18 1:43 PM
Post Your Comment
8/11/18 @ 1:32 PM
countyline
countyline
USER since 1/2/13

Brewcrew,

Some of the best bait sites are new ones.  You don't have to bait starting in April.  They'll come.

Edited on 8/12/18 9:27 PM
Post Your Comment
8/11/18 @ 1:30 PM
countyline
countyline
USER since 1/2/13

1. Acorns are dropping.

2. Hunt the bait all season, they'll be back. It doesn't have to be a short seson, nor settle for the 130-160 lbs. They will be back. 

Happens every year.

Post Your Comment
8/9/18 @ 11:49 AM
BrewCrew4Ever
BrewCrew4Ever
USER since 10/27/09

Two of my baits have been dead and my third bait site, which gets hit, is in jeopardy because of some neighbors.  I believe they diesel bombed my first bait and recently, when I was leaving, a truck full of hillbillies pulled in and the driver asked if I was baiting. I answered yes. He replied, "Good luck with that. Hope no one does anything to your bait. Lots of people will do that around here." I am going to keep the bait active but was wondering if it is too late to start new baits. Lots of grease and liquid smoke to get the smell out? Zone C, private property but I am an hour away. I do have two cameras on the bait in case they trespass.

Post Your Comment
8/9/18 @ 8:04 AM
Terrific_tom
Terrific_tom
USER since 6/9/08

Showmethemuskie could be a number of things that have the Big bear not showing up. Some one set up a bait close by, they have found another food source that they like better(Natural or Bait). The good thing is they know your bait and may return. Fryer grease is your friend, dump it around your bait and throw it up in the surrounding trees. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
8/9/18 @ 8:03 AM
shedhunter
shedhunter
USER since 1/28/08

Switch up your bait?  Maybe try more high protein bait, stickey granola or nuts? Maybe try a new scent for your attracting spray instead of liquid smoke maybe try some kinda sweet berry smell.  I noticed in shawano county the black berries are in there prime right now, was seeing mostly night pics now starting to get some day pics as the crop dwindles down.--Shed

Edited on 8/9/18 8:09 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,416 Posts